Van Patten Woods Forest Preserve Loop

Van Patten Woods Forest Preserve Loop is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Zion, IL that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

whitewater kayaking

An oak forest, 86-acre Sterling Lake and the Des Plaines River provide a picturesque backdrop for a variety of outdoor recreation activities at this preserve. Five miles of trails are open to hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, and cross-country skiers. The Des Plaines River Trail (DPRT) bisects

nice dense woods with lots of Wildlife

We did the blue loop trail. Not great if you're trying to take an interesting hike.

Nice for biking, horseback riding or jogging.

Pretty dull and entirely exposed to the sun the entire loop except for a few small areas.

Would not hike it again.

Nice trail, pretty trees, lovely meadows.
Watch out for road apples!

About a 1.5 mile hike to the north entrance from the truck stop. Followed the river around the east side of the lake. Over cast breezy afternoon. Saw horse tracks a me cyclers and a few joggers. Nice families and friendly fishermen.
I saw a couple of families of geese with their new young.
On the northwest side of the lake were two beaver lodges which were occupied.
Overall it was a nice nearby hike that ended up being about eight miles round trip. Quite a few more in the area I'd like to try next.

I did the Blue Loop on my bike and really liked it. I will be going back to try another trail.

The trail is nice. There aren't really any hills, for Illinois that is. Most of the trail has horse prints so watch your feet when running, walking would be easy. This will probably go away after a good rain. I ran the entire trail and once the leaves come in it will be awesome. I will be going back.