Siloam Springs State Park

DIFFICULTY 2 reviews

Siloam Springs State Park is located near Liberty, IL. The trail is primarily used for birding and is accessible from March until August.

I hiked Red Oak trail at Silom Springs state park today and I was actually impressed at both the scenery and the difficulty. Most of the trail is very park like with paths that are big enough to drive a car down but there are a few very, very nice sections that are not much more than a deer path. Wild mushrooms were abundant today since the fall rains have started. There is a good mix of different varieties of trees, bushes, creeks, meadows, rock, hills, etc.. I would say its a kind of "all in one" type trail. Water is there year round from a spring fed creek. There is a very nice tent camping area half way through. I took my time and enjoyed everything and it only took me 3 hours from entrance to exit.

Spent a weekend on the backpacking Trail with a 4-year-old and a 8-year-old. Lots of wildflowers, lots of points of interest. Good intro to overnight packing for them. Outhouse at the campsite, but no water so had to pack that in. Saw a bobcat in the morning, heard turkeys in the evening. Some good views, ruins of the mineral spa that used to be there, cliffs, stream crossings. Nice fun trail.