Salt Lick Point Trail

Salt Lick Point Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Valmeyer, IL that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Salt Lick Point Land and Water Reserve is a 600+ acre site owned by the Village of Valmeyer. The reserve protects fluff land forests, which provide a critical habitat for unique hill prairies and glades. Beginning at the kiosk in the parking lot, the Salt Lick Point Trail rises rapidly up the bluffs. The trail becomes less strenuous and levels off at times until it reaches Salt Lick Point, the highest point in Monroe County, IL,descends onto Limestone Lane, which you follow back to the parking area.

Great views - nice trails

Love this hike! Some very beautiful views and a nice (rare) elevation challenge for SW Illinois. Wish we could go inside the mines, though. Looks like the mines of Moria from Lord of the Rings!

One of my favorite places to hike or trail run! Great verticals that make your heart pound and legs burn...but you're rewarded with incredible views! You're surrounded by native trees, grasses and flowers! Each season presents different looks and gifts! Winter is my favorite!
Make sure to experience the other connecting trails, Newman and Johnson!

Awesome view from the cliffs! Took my Phantom 3 and flew it from the point, it was pretty cool. Word of caution to those who would like to do the same, the winds are tricky and when they hit the cliff face they might send your quadcopter in a direction you do not want it to go. Like, straight into the cliff itself, luckily i dodged that bullet.
(This was back in late March early April of 2016)

Very good hike. They did have one of the look outs closed. I'm guessing it was unsafe. I hope its not permanent.

excellent hike

fun great views

Great views, fairly challenging initial ascent

Love the views!

Was hard to run because of hills and the beautiful views once u reach the top!!!

I hiked this trail today with my dog and really enjoyed it. The ground was wet from the recent storms, but it wasn't slippery anywhere. Trails were very well marked. I didn't run into anyone else, which is always a plus. I saw tons of deer tracks, so I bet if you come at the right time you'll spot some wildlife. It was pretty buggy though, so bring spray. My only complaint is that the trail dumps out on a road... with signs that tell you to follow the road. The road doesn't have a great shoulder in some places, so that was a little uncomfortable. But it was a short time before was back at the parking lot. I'll definitely be back, but I think I'll combine all 3 trails next time.

It was a great trail. Great exercise.

Great hike. Perfectly challenging with a great view

Great hike. Enjoyed it a lot. Also a little lizard scared me to death.

It was a beautiful day for a hike at Salt Lick Point today. This was our first time on this trail, and I was a little nervous about it being rated difficult, but it really wasn't that bad. This trail should probably be rated moderate. Only took us an hour and 15 minutes to complete.

Love this trail! I come to this trail a few times a month and I love it! So beautiful!

Took the kids who are under 6 years old and our dog because it's listed as kid friendly. We aren't strangers to hiking but it was too difficult with littles, we made it half way before having to turn back and do a heart attack of a trek down.

If you have a large family or littles, do Johnson trail instead, you'll enjoy it much more.

I did go back and do this trail on my own, love it and great for training. Will be going back soon to do the entire three trail loop soon.

Great trail with steep inclines. Great views and interesting cavern areas. Right next to and on top of the underground storage. Cool.