Pyramid State Park, IL 10 Mile Loop Trail

Pyramid State Park, IL 10 Mile Loop Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pinckneyville, IL that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from January until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

Very wide loop trail, used for hiking and horseback riding. Many primitive campsites located throughout the trail for camp in access. Trail loops through strip mine ground covered in hardwood and pine forests, with many lakes of different sizes scattered throughout.

I have mixed feelings about this park. The trails were gorgeous and the contact view of different lakes made for an absolutely beautiful hike. Not to mention, the trail was nearly empty. I only saw two other people and they weren't hiking (one birdwatching, the other was running somewhere). I did the full 10 or so miles and it went by very quick. My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that the trails are very poorly marked. I took a wrong turn at a fork and ended up on the highway having to walk along the road back to the park. I could have backtracked, but it would have added several miles to the total. I knew where I was so it wasn't worth it. I'd like to do this trail again, but I think I'll make sure I have a GPS next time. It was only mildly buggy, but I did find 10 ticks on my dog afterwards. All in all, it's worth going here because it's so beautiful, but make sure you have a very good map and are paying attention to navigation at forks.

great horseback trail!

After spending Saturday (01-23-16) hiking Ferne Clyffe State Park, Karen and I had hoped to leave our cabin rental and head to Little Grand Canyon in Shawnee National Forest, but unfortantely the IL Department of Natural Resources likes to close roads when there is snow on them. Not wanting to miss an opportunity to hike somewhere new, we pointed the truck in the direction of Pyramid State Park. What a neat area. This is Illinois' largest state park and was home to several strip mining operations in years past. The area is dotted with small lakes EVERYWHERE. It was unlike any other place we have hiked. There was not a lot of elevation change, and there certain was not alot of rock formations, but the lakes were literally everywhere and that kept us interested.

The trail system was a bit confusing, as there really is not many trail markers with mileage or directions on them, but because this was an area of old mining operations, the trails are old mining access roads; which make for easy walking.

It was a great way to spend some time on a winter afternoon.

Difficulty: Beginner
Ascent: 178 ft
Descent: 148 ft
Max Elevation: 541 ft

Very well kept park. Plenty of signage to find your way around. With major trail being used by equestrians there are some areas that are a bit torn up. Nothing horrible. My dog jumped into a small black pond and came out dripping black stuff. Not sure what it was but it's the second time since we came to Southern Illinois that it's happened. Overall a really good experience.

We loved the wide trails. Trails were well marked and scenery was pretty. Lots of picnic tables scattered throughout the park in hidden alcoves. A nice day hike!

Very beautiful area! Trails were well maintained and very exciting to moutain bike! Trails were not very well marked. It was a bit confusing. Overall, this is an excellent moutain bike trail.

Very well maintained trail, used for hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding. Many scenic views along the trail of clear water lakes and wildlife.