Piney Creek Ravine Nature Reserve Trail

Piney Creek Ravine Nature Reserve Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chester, IL that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Piney Creek Ravine contains the largest body of prehistoric rock art in Illinois. Almost 200 designs believed to date to the Late Woodland (A.D. 500-1000) and Mississippian (A.D. 1000-1550) periods occur within the ravine. Most are faint, but still legable.

Absolutely beautiful for this area. Got of the trail a bit but doubled back and got to see the wall art again. Lol

Excellent hike! Very enjoyable for the whole family. River, low falls, cliffs, cave markings, trees- very good indeed for SW Illinois.

We did this in the fall with a couple of friends. Interesting trail with wall art and river crossings. I think it would be very pretty in spring also and probably better views with not so much foliage. . I would recommend this trail.

Very enjoyable little hike. I recommend early spring for a visit. Views are better without so much foliage, and I bet the poison ivy is pretty annoying once it gets going. Can be difficult to cross some things in high water, and there was a bit of mud to traverse at the beginning.
The location is off, though. The blue dot is actually several miles east of the actual park. I had to look in a 'route' on someone else's post to get to the trail.

Very nice hike. Trail was clean and nice, marked well, and easy to maneuver while carrying the kids in our backpack carriers.

This was a beautiful hike with many rocky bluffs and streams. The trail alternated between bluff tops and stream crossings, making for one of the most enjoyable hikes in the state. Moderate difficulty because of a steep climbs and stream crossings. The rock art is really neat once you locate it. It is unfortunately surrounded by many modern additions from less evolved members of our society. The trail head is a long way down Piney Creek Road, just keep going. More than worth the drive! We will be doing this again soon!

One of our family favorites!

Me and my family just hiked this on Easter Sunday , some beautiful views, and the "rock art" was amazing. Probably one of our new favorite places to hike

This trail was really nice. We completed this trail with our two children who did really well. Rocky bluffs were something out of this world! The rock art was amazing! Trail was very well marked. Will def do this again.

the trails weren't marked very well and the cave art was surrounded by a bunch of graffiti but I enjoyed the walk and the views its beautiful out the, but its just one of many

One of my favorite hikes. Early spring is a great time to visit.

Beautiful scenery. Nice trails but some were not very well marked, especially now that some leaves have fallen.

Nice trail. Little disappointed that I wasn't able to make out any of the ancient art.

Piney Creek is a nice trail through heavy timber as it works its way down a ravine, over Piney Creek to a large rock outcropping that contains some faint indian rock art. Overall a nice hike, well worth the trip.

I attempted to hike this trail on May 18th. The trail begins on a grass covered path that had not been cut recently and was 12 to 18 inches tall. I had just entered the trail and walked for about 25 yards when I noticed 3 ticks walking up my pants leg. I decided to return at a later date (late fall) and try it again.