Palos Orange Trail

Palos Orange Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Willow Springs, IL that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We loved most of this hike - really scenic in the fall and actual hiking for Illinois, with steep parts. We had our dog on leash which was fun. The parts we didn't love were the parts next to the loud roads and a lot of bikers that you are constantly dodging on a very narrow trail. It wasn't too buggy and it was mostly dry. I would consider this entire loop difficult especially for an Illinois trail and wouldn't recommend it for children or large groups (except part of the trail north of the parking lot which is nice and wide).

I took the orange route - a bit buggy and some areas mushy/muddy after rain but beautiful sites and great for hiking! lots of small trails you have to share with bikers so be sure not to wear headphones. there's lots of hills so you'll be able to hear them coming before you see them.

Great trail and connected to so many other preserves/trails. I did many of the connecting trails... took that offshoot trail south and across 107th. Once you get to the cal-sag there's a decent amount of trash. Going further east there was more and spraypaint all over the trees/rocks. Still a beautiful, just different trail :P. Everything north of 107th starting from here is very well kept. I did not run most of it because it is very uneven or closed in. 5 stars for the trail marked tho.

I agree with the other people that I don't think this trail should be marked easy, wouldn't want someone going thinking they are taking an easy stroll thru the woods. Horseflies drove my poor dog crazy so we only did a couple miles. A lot of shade which was nice

I tried this trail about 3 weeks ago and got lost but completed it today. Watch the markers by Wolf Road Woods that's where I originally went wrong. I agree with the other comments, I would not rate this trail as easy. It is an excellent workout with inclines. Horseflies are pretty horrible out there but other than that, I really like this trail.

Not sure how this is rated easy because i would rate out difficult. I ran the loop and it is a fantastic trail run with elevation gains; something i would not expect near Chicago.

Also, looks great for mountain biking. Saw some awesome switchbacks.

If you're running, i would suggest a clockwise loop. Downhills in the other directing would be difficult. If you're biking, i would do a counter clockwise loop to make great use of those switchbacks.

fun and challenging on a mountain bike. Definitely NOT "easy". Should be labeled Hard; in several places the average biker would walk their bike.

2-3 mile walk to find nuclear burial site. Lot of paths

Very fun and challenging

Great trials! Had loads of fun!!!

Awesome place, tons of options and
Different difficulties too.

Best for Chicago area by far

Ran Yellow. An excellent mix of surfaces. Only a couple spots with lack of markings, but, otherwise, great! So much left to see!

We hiked the yellow trail--it was great, a little mix of everything: forest, prairie, marsh, lakes. Parts of it were crushed limestone and very wide (and one stretch went by a waste water treatment facility), but most of it was narrow, dirt trails and fairly well marked. It was absolutely gorgeous. I'd go again in a heartbeat!

There is not better place to go .i really love palos.

Great trails. Was here in June and loved it. Not many people out... But it was a weekday. Technical in areas. Easy in others.

best single trail in the area