Nachusa Grasslands and Franklin Creek State Natural Area Trail

Nachusa Grasslands and Franklin Creek State Natural Area Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Franklin Grove, IL. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and birding.

I've been on this trail many times. It's the other side of old mill road that interest me

easy and serene

Great trail for hiking, be sure to wear clothing you don't mind getting wet and possibly muddy.

I absolutely loved it! My 6 year old son loved it my mom had a terrific time there's nature all around you! Passing they the river was fun! Heads up wear shoes passing thru there

Nice space to visit . We were definitely challenged maneuvering steep steps and muddy trails after much rain. That being said, super peaceful and the river was cool. It was very high so we didn't attempt to cross it with young kids and would return to try it out. The kids really liked the play park at the very front!!

This is a fun trail if you like to get wet. The trail follows and crosses Franklin Creek. We hiked in late spring when the undergrowth is just stating to grow but already the nettles were crowding the trail. Because this is a lightly traveled path the trail may be hard to keep in spots later in the summer. We had fun in the creek and the woods. There are several abrupt elevation changes.

Wear shoes that can get wet. The streams are not deep, but there are some places you cross that are shin deep. Most places are wooded overlooking the creek. I recently found this place and have been there 2 times this week. Make sure to grab a map when you enter and give yourself plenty of time to get out before dark. The sun sets quickly.

Fun trail. Not crowded and you get the chance to cross streams and stay off the beaten path during a casual hike.