Little Grand Canyon Trail

Little Grand Canyon Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pomona, IL that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

ice climbing

From Murphysboro, take Highway 127 south 6 miles to Etherton Rd.; then west 6.4 miles.* From Alto Pass, take Highway 127 north 8 miles to Etherton Rd.; then west 6.4 miles. * From Murphysboro Work Center office, take 20th Street south 1.5 miles to Hickory Ridge Rd.; then south 5.5 miles to the site. * At this point follow the directional signs.

Was definitely worth it. I can't wait to return to Shawnee National Forest and do some more of the trails. After not having done any hiking in a good three months this was a great one to get back into it. My friend and I took a couple of detours off of the trail to do some more intense climbing/hiking/backpacking and we definitely broke a sweat. The views were fantastic and it's even better that we had no idea what to expect. Make sure you take some waterproof shoes or boots though if you're interested in being more adventurous.

I'm so glad I found this place! Not a very long trail system, but endless exploring opportunities. Loved the canyons. I would be interested in seeing this place after a good rain....

I took the trail clockwise which started near the vault bathrooms. I arrived right at 7am and there was only one other car parked in the lot. The views were pretty good and the hike wasn't as challenging as it seems. I would rate this hike moderate at best. I would recommend good traction shoes as the rock was extremely slippery getting in and out of the canyon. Overall, good hike that took about 80 minutes to complete.

Fantastic time. This trail really gives you a wide variety of sights to see and is a great chance to do a little exploring of your own. Climbing down the canyons and then walking through them was so fun. This trail was over 2 hours away and my friends said they had no regrets about the trip.

Absolutely Amazing place!!! Never been anywhere like it. You could very easily take a side trail and get yourself hurt here but could spend the whole day on this 3 mile trail. Will continue to come back and drag as many friends along with me as I can.

slightly moderate, not challenging but still very pretty.

One of my favorite trails, it is one of the more difficult trails in this area, it is also very fun. The hike up and down the canyons is well worth the extra effort. As other had said the mosquitoes are bad at the bottom, be sure to bring bug spray.

Nice tough hike requiring a bit of climbing and creek crossings. Slick when wet but still doable and makes for some nice waterfalls. Not a good one to do alone!

Great hike in dry season; rocks are pretty slick when wet. Beautiful views down in the canyon. Would recommend using plenty of bug spray for the mosquitoes in the bottom.

very challenging. you walk down a slot canyon and walk up another one. but it is beautiful and a fun hike. only draw back was the trail at time is not clearly marked.

Hiked this trail on 08/12/. Tried to descend off a side trail and me and my hiking partner ended up both getting stuck on the canyon wall and having to hike back and down to the trail where it officially descended into the canyon. The canyon floor was very slick, a woman in another group ended up slipping and hitting her head on the rock, look for the carved out steps and footholds. The mosquitos were absolutely AWFUL from all the stagnant water, I've never seen so many mosquitos in my life. Rest of the trail is challenging and fun, probably better to hike in the fall when all the bugs are dead and there is less foliage on the trees for the great views at the end. The trail was kinda of poorly marked and maintained, but rewarding to finish.

One of my favorite trails of all time. It's not every day you get to climb down your own little canyon while hopping and skipping over the stream that's been cutting it for who knows how long. While there were a few parts where our 70 lb. dogs needed a boost or a little help, they fared really well and I think genuinely enjoyed climbing as much as we did. It was unbelievably beautiful, and we only crossed paths with two other groups, so it felt like we had the place to ourselves. I highly recommend this trail!

Love this trail. It can be challenging after a nice rain, as the descent and ascent out of the 'canyon' is through a waterfall/creek. Well worth the effort!

Great! Very nice hike.