Happy Hollow Trail

Happy Hollow Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Goreville, IL that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

cave

Good trail, fairly easy. A few places where you need to watch your footing. I did the 4.5 mile loop of the trail in about 2 hours. And my legs where sore the next day, but I haven't been hiking in a couple years. So it was a good trail to get a work out and get back into hiking. I will be going back to this trail.

Trail was easy to moderate and actually seemed to connect via old back roads in places. Tons of pretty rock formations and wide variety of foliage. But the entire trail was covered in spider webs and spiders, which made it a little less enjoyable. Was still beautiful and very peaceful.

As a woman, I would not feel comfortable hiking trail alone since it was not heavily trafficked.

This trail starts out as a wide forest road. This continues for about 1.5 miles and then it turns into a trail and drops off the ridge top. The trail switches back to take you to the bottom of some rock formations including a natural bridge. This trail runs for about .5 miles and then it connects with another forest road that begins the return portion of the loop back up Happy Hollow. As you get closer to the trailhead, the stream bed becomes rocky and there are more rock outcroppings to view. I do have a track saved but for some reason it did not link the the trail when I set the trail up. You can view it under my tracks. The trail sign says it is an 8 mile trail but it is really closer to 5 miles and takes a couple of hours to hike (not counting time to view the rock formations and caves).