Dells Canyon and Bluff Trail

Dells Canyon and Bluff Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oglesby, IL that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a beautiful two-tiered Trail. Both Upper and Lower Dells and the Falls are beautiful. Go early and beat the crowds. Weekdays are best. About 4.4 miles if you hike all of it. It's a great morning workout.

Coolest place to visit! Loved it and so glad we didn't skip it after visiting the Starved Rock SP. Highly recommend it!

Beautiful waterfalls and the sandstone is spectacular

Really cute, family swimming hole with waterfall. Pretty crowded though

The Best!!!!!!

This is one of my top faves state parks in this part of Illinois!! Hands down there is so many amazing sight to experience here. All of my kids enjoy it. The terrain gives you a little bit of everything: hills, stairs, rocks, streams to walk through, cool views of sandstone, trees, old roots, and yeah just an amazing space. We like to hike one side , stop in the pavilion for lunch, then reload and hike the other side. You can't go wrong in this place and it will feel like you are in another state:)!!

Great to see the waterfall. You really have to work your butt off to get there but man, it is all worth it. Make sure you take a plunge into that water and slide down the rock under the waterfall!

beautiful waterfalls rules not strictly enforced

Great place to see in the fall. Make
sure you go into the canyons and walk around if you can.

Quite muddy, but more noticeable was the trash along the trail and the large (and noisy) crowds. Beautiful waterfalls - walking in the canyons was wonderful!

The trio of parks in this area are all great for different reasons, and if you're looking for challenging terrain along a riverbed, Matthiessen is your place! It's got stunning views of waterfalls, and is great for anyone.

The only downside is it is very confusing. Whereas Starved Rock is very well laid out and easy to follow in terms of mapping and markers, Matthiessen is the exact opposite. It's very poorly marked, which is why I only gave it 4 stars.

Moderate trail due to the amount of mud and difficult trail navigation, but very pretty and lots of fun trying to navigate inside the canyon with the rocks and water.

Great trails! Great scenery recommend this over starved rock! Much more beautiful.

We hiked Saturday after the rain moved through. We heard that it's a muddy area, so of course we packed our Merrell trail/hiking shoes so we could easily walk through the water in the low lying areas.
The temperatures were about near perfect and the trip was a great success. The scenery is epic and I'm so glad I got to finally enjoy it in person with my own eyes! The selfie stick is a must!

We hiked early on the first Sunday in June. It was a little muddy. I would suggest swim shoes for the upper/lower dell trails. I would rate the trail moderate for the amount of stairs and unpaved muddy paths. It was beautiful and worth it.

This is a fun place. The waterfalls and the canyons are accessible. We hiked very early on a June morning and had the place to ourselves. If you are short on time, the upper dells are the best side. I wished we would have brought a bag to haul out the litter of other people. There is a shameful amount of trash. In the lower dells we encountered a large turtle trapped underneath an old piece of fence. We were able to free the turtle and watched it swim away.