Crabtree Nature Center Trails

Crabtree Nature Center Trails is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Barrington, IL that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

Easy hiking trails. Great scenery. Lots of wildlife, especially for bird watchers.

This is one of my favorite places. I've been coming here for years for nature walks and to bird watch.

We did the Bur Edge trail out from the nature center. An easy trail with the kids through the woods and prairie. Saw egrets, frogs, and birds. The kids nature play area was neat. Very hot and there were extended periods without shade. Enjoyed the exhibits at the nature center as well.

just a heads up, there are no pets allowed! but there's a bike path across the street that they offer as an alternative. very peaceful

We lived near her for seven years and never knew about this place. Great family hiking! Nature center has live animals and check the hawk/owl/vulture exhibits a bit down the trail from the center. The kid area seems overgrown and path need to be widened for us to fully enjoy the experience. Overall, great place!

Awesome! Great preserve

Great place for family with kids! Beautiful and well maintained.

This trail is probably nice but it doesn't allow dogs. Why would I want to hike without my dog? The park employee rushed at us like we were criminals and told us we were not welcome with our dog. Lame!

This is one of my favorite sites with woodlands, streams, ponds, meadows and a nature center.

Amazing Trail!

beautiful scenery
educational wildlife center
well maintained

I walked all around the Crabtree Nature Center last weekend with my two daughters (4 and 2) and father-in-law. We explored the kids discovery area a bit, checked-out the field house, and then did the shorter loop around the lake. The discovery area was pretty neat with several things to do / learn about for the kids; they enjoyed it for probably about an hour before we had lunch. The hiking is, of course, very easy-going and totally flat. We looped around counter-clockwise, with the first half through the woods and then the latter half through a field of golden grass that was up over our heads (there was a trail cut through).

It was a lovely day, and everyone enjoyed it. This place is a nice diversion that's just a quick jaunt out from the city.

Easy trail, convenient if you live in the Northwest suburbs. Closes everyday at 5pm. Great to do it with kids. The exhibit house has a barred owl, a great horned owl, a red tail hawk and a turkey vulture. Other educational points along the way. Beautiful, but bring bug-repellent...

I took a lunch break to check out Crabtree Nature Center today. The elevation barely changes but the terrain does. The path is a loop and winds its way in and out of forest areas and past lakes. I did not see any wildlife except for birds. The path does not allow bikes, only hikers and is mostly grass or dirt. This would be a good hike with young children or a quick getaway from the suburbs. I bet it would be great for cross country skiing as well.