Montrose Harbor Trail

Montrose Harbor Trail is a 5.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Chicago, IL that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

The Lakefront path runs all along Lake Shore Drive. From where LSD ends at Sheridan Rd. to south of McCormick Place. It's paved and heavily used but is a great ped-way. I have enjoyed running, rollerblading, walking and biking on it. Biking can be treacherous especially on summer days when packed. It's paved but in many places there is dirt along side that you can run on to save your knees. Biking is fine for commuting but not for getting in a workout. It's too crowded to consider it for more than commute biking. During the summer it's a great way to get to any of the Chicago beaches. It does get thick with marathon training late summer.

I got rubbed in this location, so sad because love the trail. They destroy my doors to get in, when to the trunk of the car and got everything from my car, computer bag, my personal bag and everything. I will think twice to go again. So sad

Very nice trail. truly loved the dog park on the beach. Had never seen anything like that before. Watching all the dogs play was an amazing site to see.

X

Nice crowded.

One of my favorite stretches of the lake if you go up to the bird sanctuary / the magic hedge / dune areas. It isn't all pavement if you extend your hike past the harbor into the peninsula. Great for seeing birds, trees, and escaping the sound of cars!

Am a Chicagoan, born and raised. If you haven't walked, run, or biked this trail I refuse to say you're a resident. The views are amazing, from the beautiful lake, to the art, the city, and eventually leading into the suburbs.

A flat and very busy paved bike and running path, but I do the 5 miles on it work every day in all weather. I would say the views from it can be great with stoms coming in and would suggest the south path (past the museums) if you want a path with less people. For more distance head all the way from Monroe to the end of the trail at Ardmore (around 8 miles).

Great trail with great views. Many things to see and places to stop and eat. Can be heavily congested on weekends and holidays.

Lot of fun in the summer time!! Not exactly a trail, but a paved bike path.

Beautiful view of the city. That's about all it has going for it. The trail is too congested during Chicago Marathon training season and the users (both bikers and runners) are very poor observers of the trail rules making it unreasonably dangerous.

Great place to spend the day walking around and enjoying Chicago's beautiful skyline.

It's a great place to stroll, I live in Chicago and walk it often (because I love to walk). I was surprised to see it on here to me because it's like a second sidewalk sometimes to me. It's a great view, but very crowded during the warmer seasons.

I grew up riding the lake front trail but it's way over crowded. Great views and lots to explore and worth the ride if you can avoid the crowds.

I completely agree with Joe. Its a great way to spend the day enjoying the beautiful skyline but you really have to do some defensive riding in certain parts but its definately a ride to do at least ince.

Not the lengthiest trail but if you enjoy Chicago this trail is great. The crowd calms down south of Soldiers Field. I have the funnest time on this trail when I want a care free ride. Stopping at the beaches to swim or going on Navy Pier to people watch. The path is not the smoothest especially between Ohio st. Beach and Oak st. Beach