Chain O' Lakes State Park

DIFFICULTY 5 reviews

Chain O' Lakes State Park is a 6.2 mile out and back trail located near Antioch, IL. The trail is primarily used for road biking and is accessible from April until October.

6.2 miles Out & Back

live by this park since I was born so it's not exciting to me as much as other people, we launch our boat there, pretty clean trail, nice boat ramps also really funny to sit and watch people pull their boat in and out. all in all nice.

The address is wrong in the app and it took us way out of the way, by almost 20 minutes. So that was frustrating. Correct address is 8916 Wilmot Road Spring Grove IL 60081. I'll write a proper review once we get there and actually hike.

My husband and I discovered these trails earlier this year. We enjoy the different types of trails and our dog likes to be out and about too. A lot of people bring their dogs and their is also camping.

first of all, there are no mountains, so not worth a 'peAk', but is worth a peek. The park has a few different trails to choose from. I like the Goldfinch trail, which begins for the most part by the park office. The trail winds around and down by the river. You may be able to see fox, deer, mink, coyotes, turkeys, hawks, cranes (lots of kinds of birds), turtles etc... On the paths by the 'pines' you can see an osprey nest in the distance--if lucky the osprey. The loop I always take is about 1.75 miles, and easy terrain. If you take the blue loop trail, it is a bit more difficult, and is shared by horses, but it is a nice trail to go on. The mud Lake trail overlooks Grass Lake in one part. All the trails are wide enough, and easy enough to navigate. The park offers maps. This is also where you can load your boat to get onto the chain (need a sticker to use waterway). They also rent boats (canoes, paddle boats), which is a nice ride up north on the river. This is a busy park for hiking, jogging, biking, X-country skiing, horses. It also has a very nice, well-kept, separated campground area (no 'drinking' in campgrounds). There is no charge yet, to get into the park (like other states), average charge for camping, though. This park does close during (I believe) Nov. and Dec for hunting, so check out the web page first. You can access it through the DNR. I love this park, it is one of the best kept/maintained parks in the area.