South Fork Salmon River Trail to Pilot Peak Lookout

South Fork Salmon River Trail to Pilot Peak Lookout is a 65.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Warren, ID that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

ATV ride from Warren, Idaho to the Pilot Peak Lookout. Much of the ride is along the scenic S.F.of the Salmon River. This ATV/OHV/High Clearance Vehicle trip starts in Warren, Idaho. Warren is 52 miles from McCall, Idaho and the last 16 miles are on a crowned dirt road. There are no fuel, water, or food services available on this trip. Bring everything you need with you. There is also no cell phone service. The round trip from Warren is about 65 miles. At Warren Summit (POI #2) you will travel downhill to the South Fork of the Salmon River and then parallel the South Fork for about 6 miles. Leaving the South Fork, you will follow Elk Creek east for about 11 miles to the Pilot Peak Lookout Road. At the South Fork the elevation will be about 3000 feet and over 8000 feet at Pilot Peak. This whole area is very scenic back country. The Pilot Peak Road borders the Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness and there are pull outs along the road for viewing and photographs. The entire route had just been graded when we we here in October, 2012. There are several primitive tent camping spots along both the Elk Creek and Pilot Peak roads. Be sure to check on fire and road info before heading out!

Dad took me and the other kids here in the early 90's. I don't think we started at Warren, though... We took a boat down the river and a raft for part. Then we rode up on horseback. I remember shooting his .44 magnum when we got to the lookout.

I also recall fishing (quite successfully!) at a decent sized lake somewhere out here. I was too young to be able to tell you where, though! I'd love to retrace these steps someday!

I think anyone would have considered my dad a real mountain man out here at some point (he was a hunting guide around 1970).

off road driving

This trail is not accessible anytime until July at the earliest due to annual snowfall and snowpack.

Stumbled across your Warren write up. Wow! I see your other guides, some places of which I've been too, and others I intend too. Great posts. In regards to one of the hunters you ran into, several years ago my father-in-law traveled on the trail from the Hettinger Ranch into the Frank. He almost lost a mule when the pack hit the side and pushed the mule over...almost. Luckily, the mule saved itself. Father-in-law took a different way out and will never ride that trail again. Thanks for your detail and efforts here and your other guides! Great Stuff.

As you know, I am a fair weather rider. Maybe we will have decent weather for next year. It would really be nice to have a smoke free ride. Most of the photos and videos in the guide are hazy due to the forest fires smoke.

Thanks for the kind words.