Stinking Springs

Stinking Springs is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ririe, ID that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible from May until November.

Stinking Springs Multiple Use Trail is a designated route for ATVs, hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders. There is also a separate trail for foot traffic only that starts in the same area and ends up in the same area, but takes a different, lightly traveled route. Views of the Idaho Falls area and the Snake river on the way up. If you follow the trail all the way up, it will take you to the top of Kelly Peak. Most Eastern Idaho folks are familiar with Kelly Canyon Ski Resort, the Stinking Springs trail just goes up the other side of the mountain. The trail isn't difficult, but does have quite a bit of elevation gain. It is a great place for trail running.

This hike surprised me as the name left me thinking it would be dull. There are definitely better hikes but for those in the Rexburg/Idaho Falls area looking for a decent and challenging hike this is it. The first half of the hike is uphill (first in sage brush, and then in a beautiful grove of trees) to the top of Kelly Mountain about 5.5 miles in. There are great views of the Snake River plain. I would categorize it as moderate and there are some steep switch back sections as you climb out of the sage brush to the tree line. It is a multi-use trail but I only ran into one mountain biker and two hikers. I did not see any wildlife unless you count a small dog. I was surprisingly pleased with the sage brush, views of the snake river, and the beautiful grove of trees at the top. I would suggest making it an 11 miler and going all the way to the top of Kelly Mountain.

Nice trail for hiking and biking. I like that it isn't too crowded. It is windy for most of the ascent.

Fun, sandy, rocky, lots of twists and turns. lots of uphill but curvy and shady.

Fun, easy-ish hike with lots of different wild flowers! Fairly secluded if you take the non-motorized trail. I only saw a couple mountain bikers and horseback riders on a Sunday morning. The view is pretty good, but not amazing.

Good hike, close to home!

I love to ride this trail in the early spring as soon as it dries out. the wildflowers and wildlife on the top are very beautiful

View is decent.
You see farmland, mountains and a river.

Not too far from Idaho Falls for those looking to get in some trail running. Takes me about 40 minutes to drive there. I make it up and back in just under 2 hours. I've never seen anyone else on the trail, but I'm usually on the trail very early in the morning.