Stevens Lakes

Stevens Lakes is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Mullan, ID that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fly fishing and is accessible from June until October.

fly fishing

Great for beginners that want to get some good practice in! This time of year may require crampons; last week it was really snowy but this week it was clear. Make sure to plan for the weather and it'll be amazing! I would 100% suggest making your way to Upper Steven's it's an incredible view!

Beautiful and varied terrain. Fun hike!

This hike could probably be listed as moderate to strenuous. It is a pretty steady climb to the lake. Lower Stevens is pretty but if you don't continue your hike to Upper Stevens you are certainly missing out, it's gorgeous and much less crowded.

Beautiful hike in the fall.

Great day hike with a nice view!

Great trail!!! The downhill is steeper than what the uphill felt!

fun, challenging beautiful.

4 miles of steady incline going in. Do-able but definitely took breaks to catch our breath. It was a busy weekend so we hiked up to Upper Stevens. Only a short hike farther and only one other party camping out. Would recommend and definitely doing it again!

I absolutely loved this trail! Gorgeous lake, great huckleberry picking and beautiful waterfalls!

(August 7th) Amazing hike! It was a struggle for me but I kept pushing myself. Steep hills and a little rocky but it levels out often so you can catch your breath. Take a towel and extra water because your going to sweat a lot. I wore sketchers tennis shoes and was fine, just take it slow where there are rocks. Right after the waterfall there are two paths. The path to the left is a shortcut but very steep. The path to the right, which I didn't take, is a longer but easier path (so I have been told by people on the trail). I only made it to the lower lake and there were 5 or 6 camp sites, big enough for 2-3 tents.

Worth it!

This was a great hike but be prepared to work! Moderate is a bit of an understatement. Definitely worth it for the cool swim at the end (in late July).

Super fun and easy for the whole family to get up. Fish were jumping and we did catch one little one but wasn't outstanding. The crystal-clear water is amazing for swimming and relaxing I'm floating in. I love this hike.

Beautiful lake to camp or relax by. The lakes by virtue of being in a valley seem very isolated and serene. Haven't fished them, but you can see what looks like trout in them.

Trail to the lake is relatively short like two or three miles. It does have some good elevation gain, so make sure your legs are ready. The trail to the lower lake is clear and well maintained. The trail to the upper lake is overgrown and less maintained. It is somewhat easy to get going the wrong way to the upper lake.

There are a half dozen camping spots at the lower lake and a few more at the upper lake. All of them are reasonably close to the water.

Saw some beautiful large mule deer on the hillsides, and a young moose. No animals raided our camp at night, which was surprising. Thought there would be more motivated varmints.

Hike is definitely a good workout. We went and stayed the night up there and it was beautiful. Plenty of campsites at the lower lake and a few at the upper. There wasn't much wood for fires and what we did find was fairly wet. It didn't get too cold at night and it was a comfortable temperature for hiking. The waterfalls are pretty cool but could use a nice little bridge over it as it was kinda tough with dogs and a full pack.

Absolutely stunning! Will repeat this hike over and over! Look forward to going in the winter as well.

super amazing hike. very steep and we couldn't make it to the lake due to the waterfall. definitely needs a bride at the end of the hike almost to the lake. would be a good hike to do in late June July or August once water level is down a bit. views are wonderful. we will be doing this one again in the end of summer!

Steep

Yesterday was a near-perfect day for a hike. The weather was beautiful, the flowers are turning, and it seems only nice people were on the trail. We took the left(east) trail from the parking area; there is one a few yards to the west, but we couldn't figure out which was which. We picked the correct trail head, and we had a great time. If you are interested in checking out the upper lake, follow the trail around the west side of the lake, and keep going until you hit the last spot on the shore. This is where the best trail seems to start for the upper lake. There are plenty of other less developed routes, plenty, but this one works great. Lots of camping sites, lots of water, close to the road; what's not to love.