Scotchman Peak Trail

Scotchman Peak Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clark Fork, ID that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Very difficult hike. The trail is very steep but the payoff at the top is all worth it!! Not for beginners. Make sure you have good hiking boots.

I could not find the trail head using the directions on All Trails. Had to give up due to time. Too bad - was looking forward to the hike. A check on Google maps suggests that All Trails directed me down the wrong dirt road. There is no cell coverage, so make sure you have the right road before you get out there.

Super fun hike ! For sure steep but worth it once you get to the top. My sister and I did it in about two hours. We saw six goats (: Beautiful views. Driving there was easy if you follow the signs.. All dirt/rock heading into the trail so make sure you have a car that can drive that!

Great trail. The first portion is very steep, but the switchbacks are more forgiving as you climb higher. Under tree cover first several miles. I saw a mama and her kid and another goat who wanted to hang out on the top. Great hike, knees are feeling it the next day

Challenging and very rewarding once you reach the top

Went yesterday it was awesome no goats 6667feet that was a killer but well worth it trail was easy to fallow Huckleberry still on way up high on the trail .

The views were amazing! we saw 6 mountain goats on top. Met a nice couple. A great day!

Took me 3:25hr for the full 8 miles. Probably a little over 2 hours to the top. I didn't see any mountain goats which is sad. Foggy and cold at the top today!

Glorious view with well maintained trail. I was overzealous and jumped into the brush before finding the official trailhead. It cost me 3 hours of wandering off the path with only my iPhone and this app to guide me. Still worth it. Got the journey of my life. What better way to find yourself than to get lost on a wilderness mountainside?

I love this hike! I've done it twice now and enjoyed it both times. But it is definitely not "Moderate". I am an avid hiker and still took me, and my group, about 6 & 1/2 hours to complete. This hike requires lots of water, and hiking sticks are recommended. Overall though, I thoroughly enjoy this hike and all the spectacular views it offers.

Rough climb up, trail is currently being redone to include switchbacks instead of going straight up which will make it a more pleasant hike. Views from the top are incredible.

Difficult hike but the views at the top are worth it!!!

Great trail conditions, fantastic views. the first couple miles have some steep spots, but tough it out. The views from the top are amazing!

this was a tough hike but totally worth it. steady climb up and unrelenting on the way down.
took us 3 hrs 50 minutes up with a couple of breaks
2 hrs 30 minutes down
the view is absolutely worth the work, beautiful in every direction.
goats kept their distance and were easy to startle away when they got close.
just do it!

Absolutely gorgeous! The view of Lake Pend Orielle is incredible and seeing mountain goats is fantastic!

Awesome hike, awesome views. Easy to follow well maintained trail and great views on the way up. The summit gives a view in every direction, this is the tallest peak.

The trail is moderate grade most of the way with a few steep spots. The trail has few flat spots, so expect a constant up grade all the way to the top. Near the bottom you are in forest, in the middle meadows, and near the top loose rock.

It is a dry trail, bring water. Dogs are encouraged to keep the goats away. Lots of signs saying don't get friendly with the goats.

We mapped the loop at 8.6 miles, climb is just under 4000 ft.

The best part of this hike is getting to the top. The views are really amazing. Its worth it to go all the way up.

Good conditioning climb with plenty of elevation. Access road is in great shape, I made it up in my 2003 Dodge Neon. The trail is in good shape with no major obstructions. We had some bad weather roll in as we broke above treelike, so the goats weren't out. There was only one section that required being on snow for more than a few steps. The trail is relatively easy to follow through the talus to the summit. Beware of the heavy cornices above the cliffs to your left as you walk the final ridge to the summit. What looks like a stable snowfield could actually be just a cornice, and they're still quite large. All in all, it was an amazing hike even though we couldn't see 10 feet in front of us on the summit. Routefinding on the way back down is not an issue. We brought wands due to an earlier report saying that they got lost and had to be rescued, but we didn't need them at all.

Great hike!