Moose Lake Loop

Moose Lake Loop is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hope, ID that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

Hidden in the eastern reaches of Kaniksu National Forest, this leisurely 7-mile loop pushes toward Blacktail Lake before climbing up Moose Mountain and dropping down to Moose Lake. Start by heading southwest on the Moose Creek Trail from the parking lot at the end of Forest Service Road 1022. After 0.6 mile, turn right on the Blacktail Lake Trail and begin climbing up a hill separating Blacktail Lake and Moose Lake. At mile 2.4, bear left to hit the Moose Mountain Trail (the right fork brings downhill to Blacktail Lake, 0.6 mile away). Moose Mountains peak is preceded by a revealing ridgeline serving up vistas of both nearby lakes and the surrounding mountain country. Once at the peak, the trail bends to the east while descending another ridge toward Moose Lake. Along the way, youll hike down a staircase of rock, through a clearing and past marshland encroaching the lake's shore. Primitive campsites are situated elsewhere along the lakes shoreline, and the lake itself provides fishing for small, yet active, brook trout. Return to the trailhead via looping back with the Moose Creek Trail.

We hiked this 10/9/16, great trail the view of moose lake from the ridge is outstanding. There were still some huckleberries left.

We hiked as much of this trail to take us from the Moose Lake trail head to Moose Lake for an overnight backpacking trip (2mi). The trail is very well marked and easy to hike (there was one blown out bridge that was easy enough to navigate). Huckleberry bushes line the trail for grazing. At the lake there is a nice fire ring and logs to sit on and there is a bear locker. No one else was there on a Friday after work. Take waterproof pants if there is any chance of rain due to low close bushes along the trail. Take care - it was dusk and just at the trail head we saw a mountain lion. Worth the drive in.

We hiked all over this trail to the various points it offers. We even took off our outer layer and took a swim in one of the lakes. We were all alone and it was beautiful up there. The road was a bit too rough for my car to feel safe driving on, but the trip was very worth it.

My partner and I rode horses on this loop which according to the trailhead sign the ride is 9 miles long. All types of terrains from flat to very steep with loose rock going over moose mountain. I walked my horse over the top. I do not recommend riding if you and your horse are not fit or experienced. The beauty of the mountains was breath taking. Bring extra batteries for your camera!