Lookout Mountain

Lookout Mountain is a 5 mile out and back trail located near Coolin, ID and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October.

Love this trail. Lived across the lake all my life (summer home). We are going to do this again summer 2016!!!

I did this trail with my mom last week. Offroad or high clearance vehicle is a must just to make it to the trail head. We started at the Lookout Lake trail head instead of driving farther. It was a fun bushwacking adventure to the lake. Blue huckleberries were everywhere which we snacked on the whole way up. The hike itself, comparatively, was not bad at all. A lot of up but fun and fantastic views. We got to meet a few of the land crew working on the building, and I shared my lunch with the cutest pine squirrel who helped himself to my backpack. It was worth every ache and pain once you got to the top.

If you have an off-road vehicle you can drive most of the way up the mountain. The trail was easy to follow and well worn in most places and ranges from easy to moderate. The views of Priest and Upper Priest Lakes, as well as the surrounding area, were worth the effort to get there. There is a fire look out tower at the top and the person manning the tower allowed us to climb up for a view. We saw lots of bear sign, but luckily no bears that day. We went in August and the trail is very thick with huckleberries that time of year. Bring a bag to take some home on the way down.