Independence Lakes Trail

Independence Lakes Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Albion, ID that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.0 miles 2067 feet Out & Back

It was a fun hike but the last part was a killer. Mostly shaded which was really nice. Great day.

It was a beautiful, and a well traveled trail. The last leg up to the first lake proved to be the most difficult part of the hike for me, but it was worth it! Great hike. I hope to go back and see the additional lakes soon!

Beautiful trail! We hiked in fishing gear and fished the first lake. The trail was mostly shaded. I am a pretty active person and had no trouble on the trail. We took some smaller children, they had to take a few brakes but made it there and back.

This hike is beautiful! I wouldn't say it is easy, as it does offer a good workout and is a good distance. I highly recommend this hike to all! Family friendly and something worth seeing.

great hike, beautiful scenery... This was me and my wife's third hike as we are fairly new to the sport and still testing the waters. we had a great time but there was allot of traffic. I would recommend packing fairly light and carrying plenty of water. we only made it to two of the lakes but we will definitely be returning again...

Beautiful area. Not too close to Albion, Idaho, located between Oakley and Elba. Please correct your information.

I did this hike as a backpacking trip when I was in Boy Scouts. It was a good hike and a fun camping experience.

Excellent hike. Is as explained in other reviews. I did an overnighter. Very pleasant except for Boy Scouts camping across the lake. Only made it to the third lake as I didn't get to the trailhead till 6:30 pm and wanted to set up camp before it got to dark. Was a bit confused when trying to find the trailhead but if you follow independence lakes road it will dead end at the trail head approx. 1/2 mile past the livestock loading area. The trail head has a parking lot and a toilet, cross the creek, walk through the camp sites and you will find the trail. Like I said its an excellent hike but only gave it 4 stars due to a lot of traffic. ( I like my solitude) Will definetly do it again. Maybe two nights next time.

Excellent short hike to a couple small alpine lakes, difficulty is moderate as most elevation gain is a half mile from the lake (1200 feet elevation gain) and the elevation is around 9000 feet. Trailhead is easily found on the other side of the boy scout camp off the Oakley-Elba basin road to a right turn (south) on Independence Lakes road to the boy Scout Camp. First mile of the hike skirts around a 2000" ridge giving excellent views of Cassia Creek drainage and the Elba basin gaining only minimal elevation until the trail splits with the ranger trail. At this time the Independence Lake trail enters a small evergreen pocket and climbs steadily (about 1000 feet) until you reach the first of the lakes. A second trail about a hundred yards from the first Independence Lakes trail goes straight up the mountain but do not recommend this way as it is a extreme scramble up the steep talus rocks pulling yourself up using the scrub brush you are forced to step over. Excellent camping at both the lakes and in the evergreen pocket. Good fishing depending on the time of the year as early spring seems to be the best fishing in the second lake have had hardly no luck in the other smaller lakes as they are shallow enough to may totally freeze during the winter months.