High Ridge Trail - Cold Canyon

High Ridge Trail - Cold Canyon is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ketchum, ID that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I really enjoyed the hike. I also hiked to the saddle from the Trail Creek side. I started to go further but as was previously mentioned the trail sucks and is very dangerous especially when u add the wind. I turned around an made it an in and back. I also tried to hike the trail from the Lake Creek side. It is mostly an old mining road. When the road ran out I lost the trail so I turned around and went back. The hike from the Trail Creek side is much more scenic.

I too liked this hike. I just hiked to the saddle that looks down on Trail Creek road. The High Ridge trail actually continues past the saddle but the trail is in very poor shape and dangerous so I turned around. The trail can be accessed from the end of Lake Creek Road just north of Ketchum but I lost the trail so I turned around and made it an in and out.

Great up and back hike. Should take average hiker about 3.5 hours to complete. The trail is listed as 6.2 miles in most hiking guides but is actually 7.4 miles from trailhead to the saddle and back. Used two GPS devices to verify.

Be ready to cross the river at the beginning of hike by taking off shoes or hiking in waterproof boots. Water is refreshing but very cold!