Headwaters Trail

Headwaters Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moscow, ID that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a nice trail, but confusing to walk due to lack of signage. There are several places where it forks off and you're left guessing if you've taken the right path or gotten yourself lost. Luckily, when I went out there were enough other users to ask how to head back in the direction of the trail head (mostly cyclists but a few dog walkers too). It feels much longer than 5 miles, so I'm still not sure if I happened to add some trail to the loop -- this area is chock full of interconnected MAMBA trails and their website is the best guide. Very nice walk, but give yourself more time than you think you'll need.

Lovely trail especially with dogs - they can be off leash if they are voice commanded. What isn't mentioned is that to get to the 5.3 mile loop there is a .8 mile trek on a gravel road. That would be fine but if you add the .8 mile RT to the trail head what you really have is a 7 mile hike. I just hiked 2 miles in from where I parked and 2 miles back to the truck but it was beautiful, quiet and serene.

So I'm not exactly sure how it happened... By staying on the main trail the entire time I ended up having to trespass on private property to get back to my truck.

Loved this trail! Fun and scenic with lots of little hills to hike up.

Great hike!

Great!

good morning walk.

Great trail. I arrived at the parking area about 10 am on a sunday. There were a couple cars there and i passed a few more people coming back down. the trail is narrow (1-2 ft) and there was some snow in places, but all easy to get around. The trail is not marked well. I walked up the road from the parking area, pass the gate and their is a small trail on the right about a mile from the parking area. When I neared the top there was a opening with multiple trails as well as a grass road. i followed the skinny trail on the right. There was another intersection farther along in the hike and i again follelowed a skinny trail. Overall great hike!

Amazing

The parking area is about a mile downhill from the trailhead itself but there's no parking allowed closer so that really can't be helped. It's a little hard to find and there's several places where the trail branches. We ended up taking a wrong turn before we even go to the trailhead and found a stale pond and had to climb over a giant rock to get back to the road. It's a pretty hike though. There's not a viewpoint of the Palouse unless you get off the trail, which I don't recommend. Unfortunately the creek the runs next to the trail in the bottom of the ravine wasn't running but I'm sure that it runs in the spring. It took us almost exactly 2 hours to complete approximately 5 miles including the walk to and from the car at a steady clip and a few water breaks. All around great hike and I would do it again!

Hiking, and mountain biking (not easy biking). On the wheat fields of the Palouse, Moscow Mountain looks and feels like a mountain! 70 miles of unmarked trails. Join MAMBA for maps and GPS routes. It's all private land, landowners very graciously allowing access. BE RESPECTFUL or we lose this great resource.

Beautiful hike. Quite a welcome contrast to the hikes I'm used to on the other side of the mountains. Wild flowers blooming along both sides of the trail. Saw a couple of wild turkeys. I believe that was a first for me. Lots of small wildlife. The creek you walk along for the first mile or so is very charming. Running under huge rocks and babbling through tree roots. It's like a dreamland... but with skunk cabbage. Certainly recommend checking this one out, though.

Anyone having a hard time following the trail, the correct trail is directly in front of you when you exit the lower portion. Just walk straight across. This worked the two times it was slightly ambiguous. There are signs but they are in pretty poor shape.

This was a cool hike... Once you park, walk up the gravel road and go around the blue gate and continue on the road until you see a post saying CB2, and veer off to the trail on the right. Once on the trail, it's very easy to follow. Narrow trail, I imagine it would be fun for bikers. Dense forestry. Gradual winding upwards hike, then pretty flat and down as you wind around the loop. There was no "climax" to the hike, no real stop and view top, but the whole route was pretty scenic. Think it would be cool in the snow. Level: easy

The terrain was great but the trail is terribly marked. It doesn't seem to loop either. I hiked over five miles before just turning around and going back the way I came in. I am very familiar with the trails in this area otherwise I could have easily been lost. Good luck!

This was a great trail to hike with people of varying degrees of ability. It took us a while to realize that the actual trail starts about a mile up the road from the parking area. It was beautiful and not very crowded for being this close to Moscow. We only saw one biker and one jogger the entire time we were on the trail.

Great trail for a beginning hiker, but the lack of signage makes it very confusing. We went in at the first trailhead not even realizing it was the right trail - the sign for Headwaters Trail is a laminated piece of paper that points ahead, while the trail is actually directly off to the right. We headed in the right direction purely by luck - we wanted to get off the road and into the woods. When we reached the summit, the trail split into three other trails - left, straight, and right. We had no idea which one would loop us back around. We chose one at random (the trail to the right) and, after about two miles, it led straight into someone's backyard! We were pretty embarrassed at having to cut through someone's private property and ask for directions after we apologized to the home owners. It was all gravel driveway the rest of the way back down to where we started. It would be nice if someone would post signs at the summit so people know which of the three trails to take. Thanks to the previous review by Gabriel, I know where the second trailhead is. Next time, I will take that trail so I know which trail makes the loop!

Nice trail. Good for trail running, hiking and biking. Was there today and there is still snow on the trail so biking can be tough. There are two trailheads, one that goes counterclockwise which is the first trailhead you will encounter and the next one is just a few meters ahead, if you want to trek this trail clockwise. The trailhead is made of a white laminated paper nailed on a tree with a big painted sign saying CB 2. The signage is a little bit confusing as the arrow points straight ahead but the trail is actually on the right side of the tree. But if you do go straight ahead, you will see the second trailhead to your left and it's the single track just to the left of the main road.

For bikers, it's a single track which is awesome and counter clockwise is the way to go. I think it's good for beginner to intermediate level bikers but it does have some tight curves and slippery tracks on worst conditions next to cliffs. I guess be cautious and it's not that bad. Can't wait to bike it next time, when the snow is all melted.