Five Lakes Butte

Five Lakes Butte is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wallace, ID that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and fishing and is accessible from July until September.

This is a great little overnight or even three day trip. If you really wanted to, it would be easy to do this as a day hike. I wouldn't recommend that though. The five lakes area is very pretty, I would give yourself plenty of time to explore. The first day we hiked in gold lake and found a great little camp site on the south end. We tried to hike over to Heather lake that evening but we ran out of day light before finding it. It (Heather lake) is a little bit tricky to find. Its exactly where the topo shows it will be but the way landscape around it is lain out, from a distance it doesn't look like there should be a lake there. Also there isn't a defined trail leading to Heather. We found it to be mostly bushwhacking and map reading. But if you do make the trip up to it, you'll be rewarded with some nice cliff jumping rocks and crystal clear water. Lastly I'd recommend august for a time to go. A lot of the landscape looks like it has potential to be pretty soggy earlier in the season, we had no problems though.