Buck and Bear Valley Lakes

Buck and Bear Valley Lakes is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Leadore, ID that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike up to several high lakes. We were at buck lakes and bear valley and only saw some people on the hike out. Beautiful lakes and excellent fishing.

Good semi technical trail to a few different lakes. Horses have it a little beat up and saw some dirt bike tracks. Not sure if those are allowed or not up there.

My son and I camped the first night at the trail head and than hiked 3 miles into buck lake. It was an awesome hike and we had a really good time. The first buck lake was beautiful. The reason I give this a 3 star rating is because when we got to the first lake and camp ground we encountered a boyscout troop leaving, and when we got to the actual campground they had left the place trashed and their fires were still burning. They burned trash and plastic everywhere and damaged a bunch of trees. My son and I spent all day trying to put their fires out and clean up. It sucked. When we finally started to settle down a group of people on horseback with there dogs showed up and started trashing the place all over again. It was a real bummer. I chose this location because I thought it was remote enough to avoid all of the regular trappings of close to city camping. Guess I was wrong

I did this hike 3 days overnight late June. There are quite a few lakes up this trail but the signs telling you how far a lake is from a junction can be misleading and generally refer to how far away the next milage sign. the main bear valley lake was probably an extra 2 miles or more than indicated. there were spots to camp up at the main lake but there was so much rain and snow run off that it was flooded. I would recommend making a base camp 3 miles from the trailhead (the spot has a fire ring and the only flat tentable ground till you get to the lake.) and then explore the lakes when you have all day to see a few of them. I wouldn't say its a hard hike but to get to the lake and back in a day you would have to be in decent shape as you gain over 2000 feet over 8 miles and the terrain is fairly rocky. 5 stars for low trail usage (i didnt see anyone for the 3days i was there) and the gorgeous lake!