Petite-Toxaway Loop Trail

Petite-Toxaway Loop Trail is a 18.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stanley, ID that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

A stunning hike depicting the heart of the Sawtooths at their best. This is a breath taking loop hike with beautiful natural features at nearly every turn of the trail. From craggy sawtooth peaks to numerous alpine lakes and dense forests with all manner of animals. Excellent fishing and bird watching. I saw elk, deer, goats and watched some manner of fishhawk harvesting his supper from Toxaway lake. A little mule deer buck was quite curious as I fixed my evening meal at Toxaway. He was standing about 20 feet from my tent for about 20 minutes. He retreated when I went to the tent for my camera, preferring the security of several other deer a liitle further back in the trees. Although fast packers may make this loop in a long day, there is enough natural features to keep one entertained for two nights or even three.

We hiked this trail in October and left the only human footprints in the first snow of fall for 2 days. We walked to Toxaway Lake first night, then over the pass the second day. The view over twin lakes was stunning. I would recommend doing the hike this direction as opposed to Alice Lake first.

Beautiful scenery, pass 6-7 lakes and hike alongside a creek most of the way- plenty of water availed for filtering. Trail relatively flat and easy going, incredible views.

First backpacking trip ✔️ Tough but worth every second. Go to Toxaway then to Alice, the view is unreal!

Great trail, great scenery. I went clockwise and enjoyed it. Twin Lakes has a great campground between the two lakes. Went in end of July 2016 and mosquitos weren't too bad. Also didn't seem very crowded.

Only downside is the horses leave poop all over the trail from Toxaway to Pettite and they have stamped down the trail from Farley to Pettite into a dust-bowl of misery.

Ran this trail in an afternoon. Beautiful scenery!

This is a great trail, a Sawtooth classic. I spent 3 days and 2 nights to make the loop, but it could easily be done in 2 days if you felt like it. I spent one night camped at Alice Lake and it was VERY busy. The next night I camped at the small tarn between Alice Lake and Toxaway Lake and was the only person in the area. Tent sites are rather limited in that area, but if you want solitude in an otherwise busy location it's worth trying to track down a tent site.

The best part of the trail in my opinion was the stretch from Alice Lake to Toxaway Lake. The scenery really opens up with some great views in all directions.

The only negative I had was the stretch of trail from Farley Lake back to Pettit Lake. It was rather dry, dusty, hot, and dull, and I felt like I would never get back to the trailhead.

Incredible views at Alice Lake and beyond - do yourself a favor and visit this site. Trail-wise: Be cognizant of your location as the path has a tendency to disappear for short lengths. Also, expect some challenging stretches of steep hiking, but know that most of the trip is easy hiking. Getting from the Tin Cup trailhead to Alice Lake (one way) could take under 2 hours at a brisk pace or 4 hours at a slow pace with stops for lunch and lots of photos.

Campers: 1) No passes or payments necessary. Self-registry is located about a mile from the Tin Cup trailhead. 2) There are some nicely cleared, rock-free camp spots at the southern end of Alice Lake, a good stopping point after day 1, where you'll have spectacular morning views. Don't be fooled into stopping at the swampy area just before the lake, it's only a few yards short of the real deal. 3) Definitely hang your food from a limb before hitting the hay. When I went in October I met a ton of cute little chipmunks that would have loved to steal my breakfast. 4) There is a small possibility of crossing paths with black bears and, however unlikely it is you'll need it, bear spray is one of those "just in case" survival items I'd recommend you pack on this trip.

I would recommend going clockwise on this trail, we went counter clockwise and getting to the top between toxaway lake and alice lake was challenging, but it was as described "worth it"!!! the view from the top was amazing!

Beautiful! Trail is great!

Loved this trail. Took several side trails, including a small one that went up Snowyside Peak. Trail is well maintained. Saw a bear on the trail, luckily he ran the other way. Also saw lots of deer and other small animals. Several people were camping at Alice Lake, Twin Lakes, and Toxaway Lake, so it didn't feel like you were out there alone, but it also wasn't too crowded. On the trails I saw about 15 people (over 27 miles) and none were off of the main trail.

This is a beautiful trail with amazing scenery and wildlife along the entire loop. The trail is pretty busy with fellow backpackers and day hikers. We did the trail in reverse and stayed at Farley Lake, which offers many camp spots on the lake that are fairly private and then Alice Lake. Toxaway Lake is stunning and the hike over the summit is spectacular. The Sawtooth Wilderness is a one of a kind and this loop is a must.

Lush trail. scenic look of the lake.

Again, excellent trail

Excellent trail

Great views and Alice Lake is a gem. The complete Toxaway Loop is probably a 2-day hike comfortably, or you can hike to Alice Lake / Twin lakes as a day hike from Pettit Lake. There are a few creek crossings on the way to Alice Lake

Hiked toward Toxaway from the trailhead and ended up spending the night at Twin Lakes. It was a challenging hike between Toxaway and Twin lakes. We expected to end the trail at 18 miles and ended up doing 21. I loved every second though and I'd definitely do it again. There was a ton of smoke from fires in and around Stanley. I'd probably wait for some clear air because you don't want to miss the sights. Also lungs and stuff. I like to breathing.