Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail

Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.5 miles 1955 feet Out & Back

Wiliwilinui is about 4.8 miles long and located near Wailupe, Hawaii. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day.

geocaching

Ok, so when people say this trail is muddy.. they aren't joking. It. Is. Muddy. As in you'll look like you just left a spa mud bath, muddy. There is no getting around it.

The hike itself wouldn't be all that difficult if it weren't for the mud. Makes it pretty hard to get traction and you end up slipping and sliding a lot. Would recommend real hiking boots (spikes or grips if you have them) and a walking stick(s). All that being said, if you're prepared to get dirty, it's kind of fun going through all the mud.

The views from the top are nice. We went on a cloudy day but still were able to catch glimpses of Honolulu down below and the ocean.

All in all, I probably wouldn't do this hike a second time, but to have an adventure and do something dirty at least once was fun.

It's a tough hike. I thought it was going to be like Kuliouou and it was, at first. There are a lot of stairs at the end, a lot of mud, and some rope you have to use. We kept thinking we were at the top only to find it kept going. Once you reach the radio tower, it's almost done, just keep going.
Wear good shoes, bring snacks and water, and take it easy.

It starts from a guarded neighborhood.
A guard will give you a red card with instructions how to get to the starting point and where to park a car.
He told me: "If all the parking slots are occupied then enter into the forrest and park there".
On a card will be the number of your car. I arrived at 09:45 am and my car was #10.
When I arrived to the starting point a young lady already was returning :)
The hike is not easy at all even though on my way back I met two hikers in flip-flops and a family with three kids, two of them they carried in hands. I do not know how they managed to climb to the top.
Better to wear good hiking boots, even though I managed it in snickers which were totally in mud at the end.
Total distance on my watch was 9.07 km from parking lot to the top and back.
Time 3h 38min for me and plus 15-20 minutes to enjoy the stunning views on the summit.
I was making a lot photo and video during the hiking. I never seen such beautiful views before.
Definitely my best hiking experience at the time being.
Highly recommend this trial to prepared hikers.
Once again it is not easy at all.

First half of the trail is wide Jeep track with some muddy sections, but is fairly easy. Second half is steep stairs and thin ridgeline paths, and is moderately difficult. Gorgeous views and you can see from Honolulu to Kailua.

Great hike did it with my friends and wow! The view was amazing.