Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail

Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.5 miles 1957 feet Out & Back

Wiliwilinui is about 4.8 miles long and located near Wailupe, Hawaii. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day.

It's a tough hike. I thought it was going to be like Kuliouou and it was, at first. There are a lot of stairs at the end, a lot of mud, and some rope you have to use. We kept thinking we were at the top only to find it kept going. Once you reach the radio tower, it's almost done, just keep going.
Wear good shoes, bring snacks and water, and take it easy.

It starts from a guarded neighborhood.
A guard will give you a red card with instructions how to get to the starting point and where to park a car.
He told me: "If all the parking slots are occupied then enter into the forrest and park there".
On a card will be the number of your car. I arrived at 09:45 am and my car was #10.
When I arrived to the starting point a young lady already was returning :)
The hike is not easy at all even though on my way back I met two hikers in flip-flops and a family with three kids, two of them they carried in hands. I do not know how they managed to climb to the top.
Better to wear good hiking boots, even though I managed it in snickers which were totally in mud at the end.
Total distance on my watch was 9.07 km from parking lot to the top and back.
Time 3h 38min for me and plus 15-20 minutes to enjoy the stunning views on the summit.
I was making a lot photo and video during the hiking. I never seen such beautiful views before.
Definitely my best hiking experience at the time being.
Highly recommend this trial to prepared hikers.
Once again it is not easy at all.

First half of the trail is wide Jeep track with some muddy sections, but is fairly easy. Second half is steep stairs and thin ridgeline paths, and is moderately difficult. Gorgeous views and you can see from Honolulu to Kailua.

Great hike did it with my friends and wow! The view was amazing.

Beautiful views

This was a moderate hike but it followed the power lines all the way to the top. It made it a very unpleasant thing to look at. You could even hear the electricity going through the lines. The view at the top was nice but blocked by the power lines.

Beautiful!

Took the whole family even the 4 year old and she made the whole hike. Best hike
ever

One of my favorite hikes. I like the variation in the hike and the views on the top are amazing if you have no cloud cover. Be prepared to get muddy and wet.

Start early so you can get parking pass for the trail head (free). Nice muddy hike with increasing elevation and fantastic views. If you make it to the top on a clear day you will never forget the views!

Muddy and slippery in spots, wear spikes. Good climbing workout.

Pretty muddy slippery, but it's worth it. It's Incredible views. Love it!!!

Pretty good for trail running. a few muddy spots after about 10 min. of walking but not too bad. Loved the steps on the last part. will definitely do again soon.

went to this hike on a Saturday. it was cloudy up in the mountains. had to go through a gate guard, he was nice and explained where to go. i recommend you go early since there is limited parking (6 parking spots on the street and a few spots right in front of the yellow gate) started my hike around 11am. it's steep at the beginning and the fact that it was raining on and off made it pretty muddy. I would agree that the hike is a mixture of makapu light house incline and koko head stairs. Although it got cloudier as I got higher, the hike was still beautiful.
don't be fooled. when you read a fenced in tower area you have not reached the summit , there's still about a fourth of a mile left. when I reached the real summit I was surrounded by clouds. there was no view, but it was still pretty cool. at one point the windward side cloud parted a little. I would love to re do this hike a
sometime when it's less cloudy, less muddy and no rain.
in total it took me about 4 hours with a 25min stop at the top.

A great, well-maintained and well-marked, trail into the heart of the Ko'olau Range. The first half of the trail is wide and relatively dry--when compared to the second-half. The second-half of the trail is exceptionally muddy, deeply rutted (despite the frequent stairs), and steep. Ropes aid the ascent, but hiking poles made the decent much easier.

Great hike, cool ending, and pretty muddy.

Great hike. Muddy with a wonderful waterfall.