Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail

Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wiliwilinui is about 4.8 miles long and located near Wailupe, Hawaii. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day.

Pretty good for trail running. a few muddy spots after about 10 min. of walking but not too bad. Loved the steps on the last part. will definitely do again soon.

went to this hike on a Saturday. it was cloudy up in the mountains. had to go through a gate guard, he was nice and explained where to go. i recommend you go early since there is limited parking (6 parking spots on the street and a few spots right in front of the yellow gate) started my hike around 11am. it's steep at the beginning and the fact that it was raining on and off made it pretty muddy. I would agree that the hike is a mixture of makapu light house incline and koko head stairs. Although it got cloudier as I got higher, the hike was still beautiful.
don't be fooled. when you read a fenced in tower area you have not reached the summit , there's still about a fourth of a mile left. when I reached the real summit I was surrounded by clouds. there was no view, but it was still pretty cool. at one point the windward side cloud parted a little. I would love to re do this hike a
sometime when it's less cloudy, less muddy and no rain.
in total it took me about 4 hours with a 25min stop at the top.

A great, well-maintained and well-marked, trail into the heart of the Ko'olau Range. The first half of the trail is wide and relatively dry--when compared to the second-half. The second-half of the trail is exceptionally muddy, deeply rutted (despite the frequent stairs), and steep. Ropes aid the ascent, but hiking poles made the decent much easier.

Great hike, cool ending, and pretty muddy.

Great hike. Muddy with a wonderful waterfall.

If this was moderate then I don't need to go to the hard one yet. I loved every minute of it going up but coming back I was hurting lol. Loved it though. Worth all the pain.

Awesome hike! You have to go thru a gated community to get to the trailhead. The security guard at the gate is super nice. He just takes your ID and then gives a day pass for your vehicle. You return it at the gate when you head out. The trail is well maintained and clearly marked. It is definitely a moderate hike but the views are AMAZING!! Could definitely not be fun if it's raining or recently rained. The stairs are tough but doable. They have a couple section of ropes that are helpful. Not too many people were on the trail when we were but when we left all the parking spots were full. I would highly recommend this hike....it's my new favorite!

Love this trail. Muddy and slippery and a bit sketchy right before the end of trail but I enjoyed it and I got legitimately scared on a couple portions as well haha.

Muddy but very beautiful view

Fun and easy hike. It has something for everyone! Great views at top! Bring water and snack.

It was a wonderful hike!

once you get to the end of the trail, explore the ridge to the left.

long hike relatively boring for a great view at the end and then a long trek back

Great hike directions on app were spot on. We took a car and the guard was friendly. There are no toilets up there so be aware as you are driving high up through the neighborhood to the parking lot.

Easy trail to follow and great views start once your out the trees and onto the ridge. A bit more work than an "easy" hike and prepare to get your hands dirty on the steps/rope but nothing that should be too challenging if your in average shape.

Was in the clouds at the top so sadly didn't get the view of Waimanalo side. Perfect if you want to do a ridge hike but don't need to commit a lot of time. Took us a little over 2 hours and 4.7 miles.

It was an amazing hike! Challenging, with amazing views the entire way. I didn't read before that you can actually see Windward side from the top!!!
I went on a super dry and clear day and could see almost all of Molokai on the way up too. Well worth it if you can get up and get to the trail. Be prepared to get dirty on a dry day and muddy on a wet day.

*MOPED DRIVERS* you are not allowed in the gated community and if you park just before it you will have a 1/2-3/4 mile hike almost STRAIGHT UPHILL to get to the trail. Pack lots of water.

Awesome! I wore a 25 lbs vest that added great burn! Stairs were a blast, talk about stair master! Views were amazing!

Also this hike is closer to 7 miles round trip!