Waimano Trail lower

Waimano Trail lower is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pearl City, HI that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did a loop, starting on the upper then to the lower. Was about 2.5 miles. There's a nice view near the beginning of the upper of the Waianae Mountains. for the most part the trail is covered. There were a couple tunnels that you could go through, make sure to have a light with you. the upper track was pretty dry, but the lower was very muddy. it was a nice easy hike, recommended for dogs and children.

This was my very first hike, and it was interesting. I'm not in the best shape, but I made it. We tried to hike to the waterfall, but we never made it because we couldn't find it. We started on the lower side and honestly the upper side would've a lot easier. The lower side is a true workout. We came back out through the upper side and boy was I glad. The trail is muddy in a lot of areas so be careful. We were sliding all over the place. Holding on to the trees was my friend. I personally wouldn't take children as there are many cliffs and drops. I think I would've enjoyed the hike more of we would've found the waterfall. It would've felt more worth it.

We took the upper trail, easy hike - at first. Gets more difficult the further out you go. Cool tunnels, muddy with some obstacles (rocky, slippery edge scary cliffs, the fun stuff) - it was an old hawaiian aqueduct (or irrigation?) system. We went after it rained thinking we were going to the "waterfall" (which you actually access from the Manana trail from palisades). Almost 2hrs in, we found that the trail goes on past the stream which was flowing nicely from the rain that just passed, but we didn't have enough time to go on. It was fun, loved the different terrains, some easy rock climbing/decending and awesome sights, totally worth the hike. My GPS logged almost 6 miles from the trailhead to the stream and back.

Great trail for family and beginner no vig obticuls and good workout. I would recommend this hike to anyone that is starting and is wanting to conquer a little of the fear this is a good qay to start not to high or to hard

Very good trail for family and pets. It's an established trail that was built by the WPA back in the 1930s. Very little mud or bugs. We enjoyed the tunnels that we found along the way. Sometimes have water in them, but somewhere dry enough to pass through with a flashlight.

It's my second time up there !
Really like this place . Not to
challenging ... Only if the ground wet !
It was a nice hike today ! Actually
was busy up there ...many people

Nice, easy 2 mile loop. Well marked. It was super muddy. Beautiful by the stream edge. Steep climb if you go lower first. Some cool tunnels to go through. Only saw two people the entire hike. Went in afternoon on a weekend. It was so peaceful. Bring water, bug spray, shoes that can get muddy.

Great trail, well marked. Got there early 7am, out by 9:30. The trail was muddy as the other reviewers as stated. Be careful in some points! Utilize ropes and watch your step, as the rocks could be slippery. Only came across 3 others hikers if you are looking to get back to nature.

This trail is fantastic. Rigorous but not too steep, there are signs and markers. In this general area you can either head one direction for a breathtaking summit hike or had another way for pools and a gorgeous waterfall. It was a little
Muddy and be careful if rain is moving in water rises fast and can get dangerous, but you won't be disappointed.

Really nice family outing. The hubbs, 4 kids and I started out about 2pm. We took the upper trail and went through the tunnels. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. Even the littlest- the 6y/o made it fine with no issues. Things to wear/ bring: mud worthy shoes, hat, bug spray, flash light and plenty of water. We used our phone flash for the tunnels. At the end there's a nice picnic table and grassy area to rest a bit before heading back.

Good views, mosquitos were rough near the creek and a machete would have been convenient. But, loved the top portion with the views and narrow passes. Nothing amazing, maybe it was the lack of people that made it nice. Pretty cool with the old irrigation ditches there too.

This was a really long hike. I was not impressed with view that the summit had to offer, but it was a good exercise.

We tried this trail a couple of days ago because we found it on yelp and it was well worth it. It's a very simple hike that beginners could do, which was good since we hadn't hiked for a while. You drive to the end of Waimano Home Road, which will lead you up to Pearl City High School, you pass it and you'll get to a guard gate at the fence for a hunting area. You park on the dirt to the left, right before the security guard. The entrance to the hike is the dirt path to the left of the fence. When you walk for less than five minutes, you'll get to a sign that directs you to either the "Lower Waimano Trail" or the "Upper Waimano Trail." We had no idea which lead to the tunnels so we took the lower trail. (The upper trail actually leads straight to the tunnels). The bottom trail takes you down to a river and will eventually lead you to the tunnels, as well, but you get a longer hike, which we enjoyed. It's April, and it rained a little the two days before we went, so two of the five tunnels were puddled with water and we could not walk though. But we did walk through three of them, and they were pretty interesting. They're just short tunnels but they make you feel like an explorer. By taking the lower trail. you get to a point where the two trails connect. It happens in the middle of a tunnel so if you take the upper trail and use all the tunnels, you'll probably miss this merge point.

The trail will eventually lead towards Kaneohe so you can keep walking for quite a while. We decided to turn around so we'd have time to get back before dark. In total, we hiked for about three hours, including our rest times and our entire hike was about 5.6 miles. We took the upper trail on the way back so we could see what it was like.

The trail was fun. We might go back with a lot of time to try to make it to the Kaneohe end. I would recommend this trail if you're looking for something more relaxing.