Thurston Lava Tube Trail is a 0.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hawaii National Park, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.
Short but nice walk. Kids loved it
Great easy trail, really beautiful.
Easy hike, good for kids who aren't afraid of the dark. Bathroom available. Parking lot often full.
Super fun with kids, seemed very safe.
Very cool to walk through. Very short. Very easy. But the forests and just being able to walk through the volcano tunnel make it well worth the pit stop. Great photo ops.
Very short but the forest is beautiful. Tall green trees, calming smell of moss.
From Crater Rim Drive parking area near the Kīlauea Iki Overlook, you cross the road and enter through a short jungle like loop trail that takes you to a bridge with railings and enters the lava tube. When we were there in 2007 it was not lighted as well as it is now ... interesting feature and pray that the tube doesn't become active again when you're in there! Great trail to pair with the Kilauea Iki Trail. Enjoy!
Very interesting and cool to walk through!
Super cool lava tube! Must see if you go to the big island!
This place is super cool. Very short but worth the effort to see.
So cool. How can you not love everything about this park?
Interesting but very short. It was a nice end to our longer hike.
Very short trail. You descend a short distance through the rain forest to the lava tube and then loop back around to the starting point.
This stop in the park is was a fun adventure on a rainy afternoon.
- Great for kids. Everyone can walk this, even the 2 year-old.
- The path is clearly marked. Rails are in place to ensure safety.
- Restrooms! Take advantage of them.
- The lava tube is interesting to walk through. Just try and stick with the crowd on this one and go around in the normal direction. Otherwise you could have a traffic jam.
The Not So Good:
- When it rains, there is not a lot of shelter outside of the tube.
- Parking is minimal. This is a favorite spot for buses and everyone else because it is close to the entrance of the park. Parking fills up quickly.
Bottom Line: Fun little adventure for the whole family. Take some time to see it.