The Hana Lava Tube KAELEKU CAVERNS

The Hana Lava Tube KAELEKU CAVERNS is a 0.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hana, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and nature trips and is accessible from January until January.

0.3 miles Out & Back

cave

This is the largest and most accessible lava tube in Maui. A must-see for those interested in caves and geology. You will encounter rare lava stalagmites, and stalactites that almost seem to be dripping chocolate from the cave ceiling. This is the largest and most accessible lava tube in Maui. A must-see for those interested in caves and geology. You will encounter rare lava stalagmites, and stalactites that almost seem to be dripping chocolate from the cave ceiling. While the lava tube is much longer, visitors are only allowed to hike 1/3 of a mile into it which is the edge of the property above. It is open year round, seven days a week, between the hours of 10:30am - 4pm. There is also a one-of-a-kind Red Ti Botanical Garden Maze that is quite interesting.

A great stop on the road to Hana. A bit pricey, but you are on Maui! Property owner was supper nice and helpful. This was my 3.5 year olds intro to caves. Flashlights were supplied.

very fun experience. a definite must see walk. the property owners are super nice and informative.

Very cool experience and place though I think it was overpriced a bit. The owner of the land was super nice and friendly and the caves were amazing. Wish we could of went down farther.

Cool!!

Keep in mind I am from Alaska. When I first stepped off the plane in Hawaii all I wanted to do was crawl under a rock. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of Hawaii. It is beautiful, and I met a lot of wonderful people. I am just not a water person and my idea of paradise is a tundra under "the great one" Denali and glaciers.

The Hawaiian gods understood and guided me to their beautiful caverns on their island of Maui.

If you ever drive the Road To Hana don't miss this lava tube. It gives you a glimpse of the life blood of Hawaii by allowing you to walk a volcanic artery. This underground is why we see the incredible forest above.