Rainbow Falls Trail

Rainbow Falls Trail is a 0.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hilo, HI that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful falls ! You just need to park the car and enjoy them ! You should go around 9am because the sun rises just at the good spot to see rainbows !

Gorgeous, pungent white ginger lines the trail up to the top of the falls. Super easy to navigate. Make sure to bring reef shoes, and a bathing suit so you can wade in the pools at the top of the falls. I was bummed that I wasn't prepared.

Hot and crowded, but still...it Hawaii

beautiful falls,go off trail and you'll find a spot were you can go swimming,water had deep spot as well as many sallow spot.if you do go off trail there's another wonderful water full behind but you have to cross the water and climb the rock to see it.a vine area some locals were swinging off of to the water.

Not a hike but still definitely worth going. Short walk to the top where you can stand on top of the waterfall. In addition to the waterfall there were awesome trees.

Really just a pretty picture with a short walk from be parking lot to the edge of the waterfall. It's not a hike and not even the best waterfall I've seen in Hawaii.

Unfortunately was only able to view the waterfall. Didn't have enough time explore the whole trail, but great view!

Made a great picture.

Fantastic trail!!! Great for kids

Rainbow Falls is a easy trail, you can park (free) and walk up straight to see the waterfall. After, a few pictures you can walk up the stairs to get a view from the top of the fall. Walk around the top and continue on down if you'd like. A must see!

Amazing , just a walk up to see it.

Poked around the falls a bit. Just a beautiful waterfall in the middle of a neighborhood. Only in Hawaii.

We love waterfalls. We hike to as many as possible, so when we saw this, of course we had to go have a look.

The Good:
- The falls were beautiful. There are two overlooks where you can get a good picture of the falls. We came at a good time; lots of water flowing.
- For those who are more adventurous, there is a path off to the left that leads to the top of the falls. There is one section were you get an overview of the falls. But if you continue into the "forest" past the Banyan tree, there is another path that leads you to the water's edge at the top of the falls.
- My kids loved the Banyan trees. They loved climbing them, swinging from them, and in general running around the whole area. Even my little 2 year old loved climbing the tree and cried when we told her it was time to leave.

The Not So Good:
- Muddy
- We did not see a path that could lead down to the base of the falls. In my opinion, that would have made it great.

Bottom Line: This is a great set of falls to go see. It doesn't take that long to get there and you can spend as much or as little time as you want. I think it is worth a stop during your stay on the big island.

Yelp!: http://www.yelp.com/biz/rainbow-falls-hilo

I wouldn't say its a hike but very beautiful to see.

Highly recommend taking trail to top of waterfall -- awesome views!

This trail is very easy and great for pictures! My sister actually walked to the head of the waterfall. I was a little too chicken so I stayed back and took pictures instead recommended for anyone who loves chasing waterfalls!

Once you park you should go up to the river and get a good view of the waterfall from up top. Not really a hike though.