Pauoa Flats Loop Trail

Pauoa Flats Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We did about half of the loop to the lookout point after connecting from the Aihualama Trail. Like the Aihualama, this trail can be very muddy in places. Make sure you wear appropriate footwear. A walking stick is helpful to steady you as you climb around deeper patches of mud. I would recommend bringing bug spray. We forgot ours and were eaten alive before we got to the lookout. Despite this, the views at the lookout were phenomenal, and the breeze, welcome.

Great trail, although it did get really muddy at times, but it's worth it once you reach the end of a trail with a breathtaking view

Trail is extension of multiple trails. Beautiful trees and root systems. Signs of wild boat everywhere so be ready to climb one of those beautiful trees if necessary. You even get a small trek through bamboo before you come to a long wide view of the Pali.

Pauoa flats trail by itself starts as an offshoot of pu'u'ohi'a trail, leading down and intersecting with multiple different trails (just follow the signs for Pauoa) and ending at a lookout of the pali area(it is clearly signed END OF TRAIL). Pauoa flats is a one heck of a technical trail to run! There is a web of roots along a long stretch to slow you down. after that, you enter the bamboo forest area which has been consistently full of puddles of mud in my experience. The end of this trail has another trail head to the beginning of the climb to k2-k1.

Nice view. Fun hike. Nice and shaded. Super muddy.

Loved it can't wait to live within the bamboo

This trail is confusing. We lost our way and took a wrong direction about a hour. We were lucky to meet a gentle man who knew these trails area.i don't recommend to hike this trail by yourself.
Do not forget to use the insect repellent,there are so many mosquitoes.

My neighborhood trail. Really enjoy this one especially the lookout point overlooking the Pali

Enjoyed this hike, it is really easy for everyone, nice little work out.

It is a long drive to the trail head and the trails are very confusing. The trail was not well maintained and there's nothing special about this trail, not really recommended.

I accessed the Pauoa Flats Trail from Aihualama/Manoa Falls (would recommend). The lookout over Nu'uanu Valley is completely satisfying and definitely a reason to do the hike. From the lookout there is an unofficial path leading farther up the ridge- I ventured along that until I reached a point where someone had tied a guide rope alongside a very narrow, almost straight up part and decided it was probably not in my best interest to continue. Although I am curious as I'm sure there's a reason people have made and use the path. I planned on taking the Puu Ohia Trail back, but it seemed to be closed (or the signage nonexistent), so be ready to take the Kalawahine Trail back to Tantalus Rd.

Pu'u Ohia= Mt. Tantalus.

Directions to the trail head from this ap take you to a gated community, get your directions elsewhere. Awesome view of honolulu from the top. Great trail to hike with children.

An easy trail to hike. I did this trail connecting to the Konahuanui hike. The roots from the trees growing out of the ground makes the terrain uneven and can take a toll on your ankles. Overall view wise there is not much as you are in the forest most of the time. I would recommend doing this trail to connect to one of the other ones that leads to viewpoint. The trail can be muddy, so be prepared for that.

An easy hike in the Makiki Trail System. Very scenic and lush. Certain times in the year the trail can be very muddy. Be mindful of all the roots. A wrong step could cost you an ankle. I use this trail as a junction to other trails in the area (Manoa Falls via Aihualama, Konahuanui, Nuuanu and Judd Trail).

Beautiful short hike! Bamboo forest and a running stream- gorgeous! Not too steep, but still a decent workout. I got the trail head off of Nu'uani Pali- not what the website says.

Muddy but cool walk through a bamboo forest