Peacock Flat Trail

Peacock Flat Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

off road driving

I did this one as a 4WD, not a foot hike. A rainy afternoon makes the wet clay almost impassable to vehicles (even jeeps/land rovers). My jeep was stuck several times, finally it was stuck at length and my partner could not make it back up the slope to me close enough to connect tow straps. After being mired at length, fading light gave me the presumption that I would end up overnighting at the stuck spot on the trail. Just before dusk another convoy passed by and both parties assisted each other through the obstacle.
I give it four stars because it is the only (well, one of only three places, but the only one of any duration worth talking about) trail to off-road on Oahu. I didn't give it five stars because there are no genuine rock crawling, and while the terrain is definitely no where near the worse you've seen, when wet the clay is EXTREMELY non-traction. Doesn't matter suspension nor tires, if there is a slant to the road surface no matter how slow or fast or where you point your front wheels, gravity + wet clay = you WILL slide to the lowest side of the trail and if that lowest point happens to be frame-deep loose powder-turned-mud, or happens to lay the side of your vehicle against the hill, you WILL come to a stop. The only way to do this while wet is a minimum of THREE vehicles in your party. Two may not cut it, one definitely won't come back out. That's when wet.
Dry, it's 2WD pickup truck do-able.
On foot, anytime is a good time.