Papakolea Green Sand Beach

Papakolea Green Sand Beach is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Naalehu, HI that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, birding, and off road driving. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

beach

One of the only true Green Sand Beaches in the world! This is a must see. The hike is easy enough, just bring sunblock and water, there are no facilities nearby. Located in a bay cut by the ocean into a side of Puu Mahana, the green sand is created by a common silicate deposit of Big Island lava called Olivine. You can hitch a ride from the parking area, but why miss the raging ocean waves uninterrupted from Antarctica?! Walk the rough rocky terrain and enjoy the sights and sounds!

We actually started at the southernmost point by mistake, however on the way we found some beautiful light green sand in some areas. This area is pretty sunny and dry so come prepared. The beach itself is a pretty neat nook of the big island but i was disappointed by the dark green sand (almost looks like mud). Although it gets rocky at some parts it is fairly easy with no climbing required. Definitely do this hike if able and visiting.

when i went the sand wasn't the dark green but if you pick up the sand you'll see little green rocks.its a 2 mile hike one way and many hill that go up and down.locals do offer to give you a ride for at most 20$ a person.but if you not down for the walk or to pay.if you drove a jeep or a truck I'm sure you can make it just have a look out.some drops look safe other you can't tell till your stuck definitely DEFINITELY SOMETHING YOU'LL REMEMBER

Option to pay a local and drive you to the beach. The location is certainly worth it either way. I chose to hike it. It's flat, but pretty along the water and parts go through a lava field. Lots of off road vehicle trails to follow. I suggest sticking to the ones close to the water, it's prettier and if the wind isn't too aggressive, it's cools you down a bit. Brink a swimsuit and towel, but be careful of the currents at the beach. They are very strong.

off road driving

Talk about an adventure! We went off-roading with a local who helped guide us to the green sand beach. I recommend asking for a ride there, it was a lot more convenient. Or else its quite the long walk. Never seen green sand before AND to top it off its like a private beach. Amazing.

Nice easy hike with nice views of the ocean. The Green Beach is amazing and hard to describe. It in a half eroded volcanic cone that the ocean is reclaiming. We went around noon and it was not too crowded.

Great views of some great surf!

Hiked this round-trip instead of paying $15 to ride. There are some neat lava cliffs along the way if you hug the coastline. The hike was incredibly windy but the view is worth it. The beach is small and was very busy.

I would like that again if it took 3 hours to get to that view! Be sure to take bathing suit and a towel.

I would hike this trail for that view if it took me 3 hours. Bring a towel and bathing suits! We will be back.

This was a favorite hike for me. It was incredibly hot... And long but we loved seeing the green beach. Originally we thought we would hike to the beach and pay the locals to drive us back. They told us $50 for both ways but we wanted to hike there and possibly ride back since we had 4 kids with us... But the a- holes tried to charge us DOUBLE for the ride back. My husband told them what he thought of that and it nearly got him in a fight. Needless to say... We saved our money and hiked both ways. Take water and sunblock. Maybe some boxing gloves.