Olomana Trail (Three peaks)

Olomana Trail (Three peaks) is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

old growth

Located in Kailua, Three Peaks is a wonderful hike with great views if you can make it to the top. The first peak's about 1.5 miles up with dropoffs on both sides. The next peak isn't as challenging but still an awesome view. The last peak should only be tried by experienced hikers.

Awesome hike and climb. Great views. Great rush!

Favorite Hike Here

Hiked this with my 12 year old daughter last weekend, early Sunday. By far, our most favorite hike and we can't wait to go back for more. We are both very athletic and in outstanding shape. She is a competitive gymnast so it was a breeze for her. We both LOVED all the rock and rope climbing. MUD MUD MUD and more MUD. We only made it to the 1st peak bc we were the only ones on the trail and I felt it was not a good idea to go further just the two of us and not knowing what to expect. (We were with another group who turned back by that point). It took us 3.5 hours considering we had MANY go-pro stops:) and spent about 30-45 min up top taking it all in, it was breathtaking! For sure an advanced hike and HIGHLY RECOMMEND! When it dries out a bit we are going back for peaks 2-3!

Muddy muddy muddy!!
Great hike, well worth the mud and narrow edges! Superb view on the peaks. Short but challenging. Being a pair of shoes you don't care about and maybe gloves for the rope climbing. Don't rush because you will slip and fall. I will recommend this hike to everyone.

GREAT hike, but mountain bikes, REALLY!!!

Tough hike. 3 points of contact and a rock climbing.

Climb!

I only completed the first peak this time but it was by far one of the coolest hikes I've ever completed with a great 360° view, including the ocean to one side and more mountains to the other. It's also one of the most diverse hikes I've done, with rock-climbing, a beautiful forest, and lots of vertical alpine climbing. This isn't for the out-of-shape or faint-hearted but is sooo rewarding.

first off, getting to the trail entrance seems too good to be true...meaning u take a beautifully asphalt road into Royal Hawaiian Golf Course and the trail is about 300 yards up the road on the left. can't miss it. as for the hike. the first peak definitely plays some games with Ur head first time around because it seriously takes forever it seems to get there. the second peak I think it took me only 8 mins to make it to the top from the top of the first one. the third peak is a little challenging just due to a lot of ropes being utilized for u to make the hike. I did the full hike in 1hr34 mins. and it took me a lil longer to get back down because I made a wrong turn and got stuck and came very close to having to call air rescue because I got stuck. managed to pull myself to safety and kept it moving. the views are exquisite and I always hike alone but on this trip due to the views and opportunity for an epic pic I wish I had a hiking partner. I went at 7:20am and the trail does get pretty muddy and slippery.

Great hike

Knew the dangers of this hike before I went into it last week. But I was feeling very good in the am so I decided to try to tackle at least the 1st peak. Ended up doing all 3! But I do not recommend the third to your average tourist. One misstep and you're a goner. Getting to 1st peak is pretty steep and def wears you out a bit but doable for a person in average shape. There are a couple areas where you must climb but overall not hard. Second peak is easiest and quickest to get to. The best views are on the first two peaks honestly. So if that's what you're looking for. Just stay put!Getting to the third peak was my favorite part though. just a really fun climb down, then climb up! to me the third peak honestly looks scarier than it actually is. But I love heights so.... Haha. Anyway. Know your limits is all! I Love these peaks and will definitely make a return soon.

Started easy but wow it got hairy. I think teens could manage but when you get to the ropes it can get tricky.... Well worth it. Best hike ever.

Definitely recommend this one. You have to park a ways away from the actual trail head because the property around belongs to a golf course/club. There's a small parking lot at the beginning of the road to the course, but it's usually full; we parked a bit down the street.
The first bit is flat asphalt through the gate; just let the guard know you're going on the trail (but if you've got a backpack and workout gear, he'll probably just let you go). The road winds about half a mile then the trail starts on the left at a faded white sign. From there it's covered by trees, and the path is kind of "messy"—it can be muddy, bumpy, and there are leaves and roots everywhere (we must've come after a rain storm) and the width of the path varies. Once you get to some pine trees (which sound like a highway when wind whistles through them) it'll get better and steeper. I enjoyed the steep, rock climbing parts, but it wore my dad out. The ropes are strong, and there's plenty of footholds. Be prepared to climb, and have plenty of water.
We only went to the first peak. The 360 views are spectacular, even if it was a bit hazy. The second and third peaks are lower, so views wouldn't be nearly as good the panoramic first.
Great morning out-and-back hike. About 3 hours total, 2 hour leisurely ascent with plenty of stops, sightseeing on top, 1 hour down. Definitely a workout, especially if you take on the other peaks. Go early, beat the crowd, respect the trail, have fun.

Best hike ever! We only had time for one of the peaks so a bit of FOMO going on but absolutely epic otherwise.

Amazing hike! The traverse over to the 3rd peak really gets your heart and adrenaline pumping. If your not comfortable with scaling vertical cliffs by rope don't try.