Nakoa Trail Kahana Valley Trail

Nakoa Trail Kahana Valley Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hauula, HI that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

I haven't done this trail in 15 years and I was sad that the river wasn't full as before. But it's a nice and easy trail, shady

At the trailhead I suggest going left for a clockwise hike, and once you get to the second river crossing just stop and go back. Or wear long pants and shirts because the mosquitos are terrible, we got tore up with bites even with repellant, the plants will cut up your legs if not careful, and I found all the mud to be annoying. The river is a fun stop to swim and swing on the rope and the water is chilly.

Beautiful gargantuan roots and tree system's!!! If you love mud, rainforests, hobbling and focusing on foot placement, mosquitos, yummy mountain apples and crossing beautiful streams, then this is for you! We recommend doing the trip in a counter clockwise manner to get the mud over with first, then you will get your feet soaked at the end when crossing the streams. It is EXTREMELY well marked with orange ribbons tied around trees at intervals. After the hike we washed off at the beach across the street.

Best rafting experience! Little hard to squeeze through sometimes but it'll all work out! Paddle board is smarter than a raft. Found out the hard way! Hahahaha

Love hiking in Hawaii. 2003

Access: if your nav ap directs you to Trout Farm Rd, its wrong. The trail head is at the west end of the road in Kahana State Park. The entrance to the park is about a 1/4 mile north of Trout Farm Rd on 83.

Trail is kind of a plain, very narrow single-track jungle trail with four river/creek crossings; two shin deep and two to jump over. Lots of roots, and trunks to go over/under. Glad for the guy who marked the trail with orange tape, but going clockwise, he must have ran out of tape the last 3/4 mile(?) and made me question if I was off the trail! Good trail for hikers with a dog. I didn't see the mosquitoes today (Feb 8th) like others posted...,just a few. NOT a good trail for bikes. Few views, but a few more birds than most Oahu hikes.

Easy to moderate, trail has plenty of shade, good for dogs, and 2 river crossings. Slightly muddy in places, but not too bad overall.

Awesome jungle adventure. We'd never hiked in this climate before (we're from Central Oregon) and decided to do this trail while on vacation. 1) Make sure you park outside the residential area! 2) Deet is your BFF. 3) Stay to the left when you reach the trail. We accidentally took the old reservoir road instead of the actual trail. They meet up eventually, but we missed a good portion of the trail by not paying close attention. The trail itself appeared to be very well marked with pink and red markers fairly close together. We started around 9am and finished the loop in about 3 hours. Bonus: We had the trail all to ourselves. I'm not sure if it's because we were there relatively early or because it just doesn't get much traffic. Either way, it was nice to be off the beaten path for a few hours. Even if you're on vacation, we recommend taking some time off from your busy snorkeling schedule to enjoy this hike!

Mahalo

Trailhead is at the far end of the Kahana State Park past the small group of houses that locals still live in that pre-date the state park. Car parking is before entry to the locals housing area. Our car was undamaged upon return and the locals seemed friendly. As for the hike, our 7 and 8 year old kids zoomed around the entire loop trail with ease. It was a bit more of a slog for my wife and I. We did it in tennis shoes. Trail shoes would have been better. Waterproof hiking boots would have been best, along with water shoes or sandals. BRING BUG SPRAY!!!! There is a great swimming hole halfway around the loop with a "shoot the rapids" sort of feature that was fun for all. Head DOWNHILL through the mosquito-laden bamboo forest to get to this swimming hole. Finishing the loop counterclockwise and you get to the river with the rope swing into the swimming hole. Check the hole first for boulders and debris that may have washed over the dam. If the hole is clear of dangerous hidden items, test the rope. It is a very thick manila rope, but you never know. If is is strong, swing away. Cowabunga!. Oh...if you go around the loop clockwise you would get to the rope swing in two minutes of easy hiking, and the hike up and around clockwise to the second swimming hole would have been far easier, too. The other part of the loop (the western leg -- see map above right) has lots of switchbacks, tree roots, tree trunks and tree branches to maneuver around, and was far muddier. Inexperienced hikers might want to skip that leg of the loop entirely. Trail markings are easy to spot but infrequent. Bring water. Wear decent shoes. Long pants also recommended, with swimsuit underneath. We only saw two other people on this trail and we were there swimming over half the day. Warnign: even the "easier" (clockwise first half) leg of this trail might be nasty after a heavy rain. Check the weather report on the day you plan to hike. It seems, however, that someone (thankfully) helps manage the trail by laying down palm fronds to make it less of a mud slog. Mahalos!

Not a difficult hike, but very muddy with 2 small stream crossings and 2 creek crossings that may be impassible during heavy rain. My wife and I hiked this after a day of rain, and much of the trail was 6 inch deep mud. The third creek was about 2 feet deep and requires wading across, so I'd recommend bringing sandals in addition to good hiking shoes and to carry a towel to dry off for the last mile. Also bug spray is must as Mosquitos swarms are everywhere.

Absolutely love this trail!! It is tiring for hikers with little experience, but a novice can do this if they are in good shape. Must be able to cross streams and climb over fallen trees but it is an adventure with great views and I love the swimming hole at the end.

4 Stars only for the water.

Negatives: Very few photo worthy views, isn't challenging, full of mosquitos and barbed fronds, and it can be very muddy when it rains.

Positives: multiple FANTASTIC spots to jump in the river and swim around (One has a rope swing, more than deep enough for the jump), a few river crossings that were fun, isn't challenging, couple of bunkers to take pictures at, good trail markings, plenty of parking space(though you may have to walk), and it's right across from a beach.

Overall I had a really good time, and I even found a spot next to the river that I want to bring my wife to go camping at soon.

A very lush hike. If you like water, then you'll like this one. It's a nice looping trail with river crossings and cool river pools to swim in. Catch it in the drier times of the year and the pools are crystal clear. Just cover yourself with mosquito repellent before you enter and after you swim. There are hoards of those blood suckers out there.

It's was not a 5 mile hike, it was more like 3.4 miles. The hike was very muddy. Lots of mosquito. The trail had lots of markers. You just got to look for them. Over all it was a nice hike but no nice views to take pictures.

This is nice hike in a valley. So unlike a lot of the honolulu hikes your not hiking for the view.

It was a nice hike; however, due to the trail not being marked well it was downgraded to a three-star hike. Beware of the dried leaves on the ground that have teeth, like cacti (thorns) and definitely ware mosquito repellant. The last water crossing seems good enough to swim at and there even is a rope to swing for. We didn't go for it though.