Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail

Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail is a 19.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei (Kauai), HI that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

sea kayaking

beach

cave

old growth

Oceanside Jungle Cliff Hike to 400 foot Waterfalls. The island of Kauai is called the Garden Isle for many reasons. Many of which will become apparent as you hike through the jungle on your way through the Na Pali coast. The hike begins at Ke'e beach, at the end of the road on Kauai's North shore. You immediately begin climbing up and old trail, build with paving stones, but somewhat slippery and crubling. Long legs are a bonus here, as well as excellent grip on your hiking boots. The hike heads up and along the edge of the hills, very close to the ocean. There are great views of the Pacific here, as well as majestic jungle mountain views. The trail curves in and out of the many ridges that reach to the ocean, and then slowly works its way back down to Hanakapi'ai Beach, which is the halfway point (in!). A good spot to cool off and relax, before heading inland for the next two miles. Head up the stream to the right, and follow the trail all the way to Hanakapi'ai falls. That's all there is!

Just finished it yesterday, staying 2 nights on Kalalau beach. The trail is very difficult, hardly ever staying flat. It is full of steep switchbacks, uneven rocky and muddy terrain, hundreds of feet drop offs, and jungle overgrowing the trail. I suggest packing very light, have bug protection, good footwear, water treatment (plenty of water crossings so don't carry to much it'll weigh you down, and be prepared for the most challenging hike ever

One of the most amazing experiences of my life!

Most beautiful trail I have ever been to.

Very strenuous and absolutely gorgeous!

It was nuts! So beautiful but oh so terrifying at the same time! The same damn time!
WORTH IT! Bring 100 bucks and take the boat back! You go in caves and shit it's amazing and scary at the same damn time.

This is an incredible trail. If you go to Kauai it is a must do!

Awesome hike. Started early was first to waterfall, passed hundreds of people on the way back. So start early

We flew out to Kauai just for this trail. It was a lot harder than I was expecting. We loved the views and the trail was in ok shape, even though it rained for about 4 hrs of the 10hrs it took us to do it. The beach was worth it. By far the best beach on the island. Try to camp in one of the caves if you can. I read about the theft there before we went and from what were heard on the beach was that they came in and arrested the guys that were running that. I felt safe and wasn't worried about my stuff while we were out exploring. The fresh water cave was a great place to explore on the beach also. Bathrooms were pretty clean by the campsites. They were in much better shape than the bathrooms at the 2 mile and 5 mile markers. Doing the whole thing in one day was very tough. But there wasn't really any good spots to camp at along the way. Except for maybe mile marker 8. But it says no camping there.
Overall the hike was worth it for the great experience at the beach.

The views are insanely beautiful. I hiked to beach and then the waterfall. This was my second time doing it.

Day 1: we hiked the Kalalau trail to the beach, out to the waterfall, back to the beach, and then out to the fist campsite.
Day 2: we hiked the rest of the trail. Miles 6.8 to 8 have some narrow spots and if the winds are at your back it can feel pretty scary.
Day 3: we hiked the 11 miles back to the start of the trail.

The campsite at mile 6 has A LOT of mosquitos. If you can do the whole trail in a day and skip that overnight I recommend it.

This hike will set the standard for all other hikes you take. The trail is heavily trafficked but that's because it's stunning, exhilarating, and rewarding. I stopped the Kalalau trail at the beach and then made our way on the Hanakapi'ai Trail to the waterfall; I couldn't stress enough to be my favorite reward of any hike. It is simply stunning.

Fairly difficult. Hiked there and back in 2 days and camped on the beach (which had no mosquitos?!?). Permit is required to camp. I would definitely recommend doing this hike in 3-4 days. Bring something to purify water as you will pass many streams and waterfall. It was the most beautiful and rewarding hike.

Planning on doing his hike at the end of the month, I have some specific questions, if you have the time please email me at Strickland03@hotmail.com. The wife and I redoing our honeymoon from 12 years ago :)

Hi :) I will be in Kauai between July 26 and 29. If anyone likes to join be for some hikes, please just text me: Tatjana-fejoes@hotmal.com. I would be happy if I could share those adventures with someone :) hope to meet you soon!

Hey you guys. It is my dream to accomplish this trail so I'm planning to do this on July 6-7. Overnight at the beach, camp then head back the next day. I'll get a permit for us. Anyone want to accompany me? Would be awesome to do this with a buddy rather than do it myself. Please email me at angelauy85@gmail.com title the email Kalalau Trail so I'll know. I get a bunch of junk mail and might pass an important email from you. Thanks and hope to meet some cool hiking buddies

sickest and hardest full pack hike I have done. the beauty is unmatched. definitely do the .5 mile waterfall hike at around mile 6. I've seen a lot of waterfalls but this one was the best. big Lake to swim in. great camping and beach. can't wait to go back.

definitely sketch don't lose your concentration for one second.