Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail

Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail is a 19.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei (Kauai), Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

sea kayaking

beach

cave

old growth

The island of Kauai is called the Garden Isle for many reasons. Many of which will become apparent as you hike through the jungle on your way through the Na Pali coast. The hike begins at Ke'e beach, at the end of the road on Kauai's North shore. You immediately begin climbing up and old trail, build with paving stones, but somewhat slippery and crumbling. Long legs are a bonus here, as well as excellent grip on your hiking boots. The hike heads up and along the edge of the hills, very close to the ocean. There are great views of the Pacific here, as well as majestic jungle mountain views. The trail curves in and out of the many ridges that reach to the ocean, and then slowly works its way back down to Hanakapi'ai Beach, which is the halfway point (in!). A good spot to cool off and relax, before heading inland for the next two miles. Head up the stream to the right, and follow the trail all the way to Hanakapi'ai falls. That's all there is!

A lot of people.

Absolute amazing hike. Can't wait to do the entire trail.

I am flying in from Oahu on June 22nd. I have a permit to camp on June 23rd and I will be walking back to the trailhead on the 24th. Since it is just me, I am looking for someone to share a shuttle ride. There is a service but, it is a two person minimum. If anyone is interested and the dates work, please email me at stfesta@yahoo.com

Wasn't planning on doing this hike this time around but last minute decided to give it a go, and by last minute I mean the night before. My best friend and his girlfriend came with. We didn't prepare at all in advance aside from an hour of shopping for food. We woke up early and drove to the trail head to start at 7am. We packed that morning we each took a couple of cliff bars a hammock, extra pair of socks and 2 liters of water. We started off at a decent pace slow enough to take in all the natural wonders that surrounded us for the next 11 miles. Along the way we met wonderful polite people and swapped some trail stories. At around mile maker 7.5 we ran into some Aussies who were incredibly scared and nervous about continuing along the trail past crawlers ledge, so nervous in fact they called a rescue helicopter. We assessed the situation and determined that we would continue and passed this point of "friction" with ease. We ended at Kalalau beach at 2 in the afternoon and took in the breathtaking views and enjoyed the golden sands while the sunset. That night we slept in hammocks while enduring a few rainstorms (I advise taking a tarp). The next morning we woke up and started back we left the beach at 7am and arrived at the trail head at 1pm.

Trail was muddy, full of switch-backs, tons of rain the first 4 miles, but AWESOME! We hired Kayak Hawaii to shuttle us from and to the Lihue Airport, on-time, friendly and they kicked-ass! Hiked in one day, camped for two nights, and hiked out in one day. To do this trail you have to be in decent shape, not a fluffy couch potatoe, as it does require some skill and lots of ups and downs. if you're thinking about hiking the coast, DO IT!
I brought a tent and mat to sleep in because all the posts I had seen nobody took a hammock; well, there's tons of trees all along the way and at the beach campsite, so a hammock is totally doable (will be much lighter in your pack). I brought plenty of food, but honestly, you could get away with a loaf of bread and peanut butter.
Take a Frisbee too!

stunning views, the changes in landscape make it feel like 10 trails in one...
if you are fit it is a very easy trail...otherwise it can feel endless...still way worth it...
and, don't miss the falls on the way!

Amazing trail that is less of a hike and more of a "journey". Made it to mile 8 and turned it back due to trail conditions. Rained all day and made the red hill sections hazardously slippery. If you hike it on a rainy day I would make your go-no go assessment when you reach the red hill at mile marker 7.5. We were wearing altra trail running shoes and hadn't slipped all day until we reached that point. Amazing trail but use good judgement!

Such an amazing trail. We hiked the 2 miles in to the beach, took a few photos and then continued our hike to the Hanakapa'ai falls. We started our hike at 10:30am arrived at the beach by 12:30pm. We then continue to the falls around 1 arrived at 2:10pm. The hike to the falls is extra muddy and there are 4 small rivers to cross over. There are also a few spots where the trail looks like it go in two different directions but luckily there are red ribbons on the trees to keep you on the right path. We swam in the beautiful pool of the waterfall (it was freezing) but well worth it as you can get behind the falls. We then left the falls at 3:00 pm, it rained on us a couple of times but luckily the jungle blocked most if it and then we finally finished the long trail of 4 miles back by 5:15pm.

I have to say the views are breath taking. The beach is cool but you can't swim because the tide is too strong. If you're planning to go on this trail go to the falls it's worth it but take extra clothes (especially socks) because your feet will get wet and muddy. Bring lots of snacks and plenty of water. My husband and I went through 3 water bottles each. Be prepared to slip in the mud it's inevitable haha.

Words can't describe. Utterly beautiful

Hiked this in two days and camped overnight at Kalalau beach by the ocean. BEST hike of my life!! Also the most challenging. I did several others in Kauai before ending with this one, and it will definitely stand out from an all-around standpoint. So glad I did it, with my boyfriend, as I was daunted by the reviews and weather (tons of rain) leading up to it. Not for the faint of heart!! I'll never forget it or the incredible views of the Na Pali coast!

Amazing trail!!! Wear good shoes as the trail gets muddy if you plan on staying out there for more than a day. The camping at the 11 mile spot is much better than the 6 mile campsite in my opinion. Bring a tarp if you're camping!! Again... because of the rain...

we started middle of the day and got in to the mile 6 (if I recall correctly) "camp site" ...there is a covering of sorts if it is raining but other then that not much. We took day packs and hiked to the beach the next day and then back to the same campground to stay the second nigbt. if I were to do it again I would stay at the 6 mile campground (especially if late as the sketchy trail section is soon after this spot!) and then stay 1-2 nights on the beach and then back out the next day. A 3 or 4 day trip if you have time would be great buy if not you can do it in 2-3 day trip.

amazing! take advantage of the climate and hammock camp if you want to cut weight and have more options for camping

Great hike. Beautiful but difficult because of slippery muddy trails and rocks.