Mokoli'i Island Trail

Mokoli'i Island Trail is a 0.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

sea kayaking

surfing

beach

cave

Hiked up in water shoes.... Amazing view

geocaching

Absolutely stunning view. A quick kayak paddle and then a short hike to the top. We did it in our flip flops without trouble.

Great hike/swim/climb and experience. Easy to get out to it. Go around low tide. We walked but you could also snorkel, paddle board, kayak, swim etc. nice climb up with some slightly harrowing moments to get to the top. View is simply beautiful though and worth it.

geocaching

Amazing! My favorite hike I have done on the island! People are really uneducated about doing this hike. We were coming back from the island and this group of kids were trying to cross without any boards, kayaks or floatations and it was almost high tide. I had a boogie board and I have 5' 3" and the water was waists high going out and chest deep on me coming back. I definitely recommend brings some kind of hiking or surf shoe because the way I went up was straight rock climbing. It was such a rush, I didn't want to come down from the top. It was fantastic. Just be sure to check the tides, give yourself plenty of time and go with friends because this hike is pretty difficult and if you slip and hurt yourself without anyone else around, you are kind of screwed.

After a quick climb amazing view!

Well I can't say I ever hiked a trail underwater before...ya have to do this before you die, its that great of an experience. For me the water was belly button deep and I'm 5 foot 6" and the waves were no bad at all when I went. Always, great views from the top, but the best part is the little inlet of beach on the other side, it would be a great place for a first date (I think) and then if no one else is there you make out and roll in the sand in said hideaway.

I give it 3 star for the overall experience , kayaking from the beach to the island and also Molii pond. Would I go back to this little island ? Most probably not.

sea kayaking

Otherwise known as China Man's Hat, it is an iconic landmark in Hawaii. Although it may seem like it's a long way out it really it's that long of a paddle on a kayak, surfboard, SUP board, or swim there using a simple pair of fins and mask. Be mindful of the currents and the rising tide. Many have gotten into trouble with being swept off the shallow parts of the reef; ending in tragedy. If you have a sure feet and a strong upper body then you might chance climbing to the top of the Hat. Approach it from the Kaneohe side. Follow the dirt trail and scale the rocky face to the right. From the top the view of Kualoa is spectacular, as well as Kaneohe Bay. Caution: People have fallen from the top and seriously injured themselves. At the very rear of the island there is a small, narrow white sand beach to rest, park a kayak or play in the waves.

Mokoli'i Island is also knows as Chinaman's Hat. To get to the trail you have to cross approximately 400-500 yards of open ocean. The reef is only approximately a foot to a few feet below the waterline depending on tide conditions. Once you have crossed and landed either on foot or some sort of sea going device, there are a few trails that all lead to the top of the island. Some are "easier" than others but it takes less than 5 minutes to get to the top. The view Southward is of the Ko'olau range, to the South it is Kamehameha's Turtle and Kaneohe Bay, to the North and West is open ocean. The reef between the par and Mokoli'i Island is a Hammerhead Shark breeding ground so beware, however, every time I have been there there are tourists and locals snorkeling and spear fishing.