Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail

Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, HI that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

old growth

The easiest way to legally hike the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) actually starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. A nice, relatively gradual ascent up to the summit directly over the Haiku Stairs. Can get muddy, as well as some rope and scrambling sections.

Dope as fu#k ..

Hey everybody,

I will be in town and attempting this hike again (my second time) on Sept 25. If you haven't done it, it's amazing. Shoot me an email if you want to join. We will be starting very early in the morning so we get to see all the sights during sunrise. Took me 6.5 hours last time.

mmrozelle@gmail.com

Done this trail many times! Kills me every time but I love it!!

Aloha,
I'd like to do this hike on September 5th or 6th.. Looking to go with a small group of people. Please email me erinskitch@hotmail.com.. I'd like to access the Haiku stairs - but do not want to risk the fine/court date/getting arrested. Any info or tips helps!
Mahalo

If anyone is interested in hiking it up together on Friday morning, please let me know. Please send a message or call 9107281246.

Hi! I'm interested in doing this hike on the 29th or 30th of August. If anyone is interested, please email me at happyd@gmail.com.

Mahalo!

Hi everyone. I'm in Oahu mid September. Anyone else doing this hike during that time? Let's go together, there are two in my group. I'd also love to hear from someone who's done this hike. Thanks in advance! I will be doing some photography up there as well. Fraguero1@yahoo.com

Hey im gonna be in honolulu from the 23rd to the 29th one of the things i cant wait to do!! looking for some people to come with . i wanted to start from middle Ridge on the way up then head back down the stairs so we can see best of both
if any one wants to join get at me on lil_b_274@hotmail.com or this through facebook and message me
cheers

This is a great alternate trail up too the Haiku stairs. I left the parking lot at 7:00Am and was at the top in just under 2 hours. I picked a horrible day to go up, with heavy rain and wind....the mud made for some tough trekking and climbing. Anyone who plans on doing this should definitely take good grippy shoes, gloves and lots of water. All in all it was a good hike.

My husband and I plan on going up Haiku Stairs (via access point 3) AND HIKE DOWN on the Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail.
Any local, experienced with these hikes or even another person/couple interested in joining us?

Does anyone have any experience with this hike down? Any advice/tips? I am really looking for some feedback on this hike down or anything related. Thanks!

Email me- We really want to do this hike but having someone else would be really nice. We have never done this before!

email me: mirna.lizeth.smith@gmail.com
text: (760) 670-9886

ice climbing

The hike takes about 3.5 hours to get to the top. Make sure you have at least 6 hours to complete this hike. You don't wanna be stuck here at night.

Thinking of doing the trail to the Haiku Stairs look out sometime in the coming days (July 18th-20th). Need a partner(s) to charge up hill with. Experience hiker, just traveling with family who aren't interest and do not want to go alone.

Please let me know if you are interested @ springbreakjake@yahoo.com

Thanks!!
-Jake

my girlfriend and i will be in town from the 9th-12th, we're very interested in doing this and possibly descending down haiku stairs. would anyone that has done it before like to possibly accompany us? please let me know at startfromscratch.07.22@gmail.com thank you!

Love!

hi :) anyone else planning to do it in July between 22 and 26th? kindly text me: tatjana-fejoes@hotmail.com.
Would be great to share the experience with someone else! :)

Not for the faint of heart, expecially if it's wet. second time around and the trail is deteriorating. But amazing views if you are lucky enough to have clear skies. be prepared this is a hard hike but definitely worth it.

We are planning to hike this to Haiku stairs on 6/21. Email me to let me know if anyone is interested in joining. Also once you come down the stairs how long would it take to get back to the car if we didn't have two cars? Thanks!

Ttamnguyen1@yahoo.com

My favorite hike on Oahu by far, huge climbs, not for those that would not be comfortable climbing a bit with ropes and chaines, absolutely wonderful if you can handle that! my recommendation is that if you're going the loop stay the main trail and don't break left to go up, stay right and that way you climb up steeper instead of trying to repel down ;D

we ended up getting off track and following the wrong path which didn't take us up the ridge but down into the valley.