Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail to the Haiku Stairs

Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail to the Haiku Stairs is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, HI that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

The easiest way to legally hike the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) actually starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. A nice, relatively gradual ascent up to the summit directly over the Haiku Stairs. Can get muddy, as well as some rope and scrambling sections.

Everything I ever wanted. Plenty of things that can go right, too many things that can go horribly wrong.
This hike has the best views closest to Honolulu. Couldn't even tell you how absolutely amazing it is.

The first 3 miles, JAM on it because you'll make up a lot of time then.
Super straight forward, real easy.

After about 2.7 - 3 miles you get to a sign on your left hand side that say's Kulana'ahane Trail.
Instead trek up about 10m and to the left again is an unmarked trail.
It will quickly take you up to where you need to be.
It's going to seem ENDLESS, because think about it - you're climbing to the highest peaks.

As you get towards the top ESPECIALLY at the ridge it gets really muddy and slippery.
It can be very dangerous at the ridge.
Wear a good pair of shoes or boots with grip.

There is a obvious fork in the trail at the top. Left takes you to the radio tower/Haiku stairs, the right... just don't go right...

Hey everyone. So I'm at an Airbnb right down the street from here. Does anybody want to hike this with me?

We did the entire loop plus spent some time at the stairs. Roughly a 9 hr hike with breaks and a slight detour getting lost at the ginger field on the way back. Really amazing hike for the adventurous and definitely not for the faint of heart. Police chopped touched down at top of Haiku stairs to drop off a guard around 1130 so be careful!

Just completed this hike today, started at 10am and was in my car by 530pm. I went to the very top and sat on the Haiku stairs. It was amazing. The trail itself is a bit sketchy but nothing like crouching lion. If anyone has any questions or wants some info feel free to email me.

Dope as fu#k ..

Hey everybody,

I will be in town and attempting this hike again (my second time) on Sept 25. If you haven't done it, it's amazing. Shoot me an email if you want to join. We will be starting very early in the morning so we get to see all the sights during sunrise. Took me 6.5 hours last time.

Done this trail many times! Kills me every time but I love it!!

I'd like to do this hike on September 5th or 6th.. Looking to go with a small group of people. Please email me I'd like to access the Haiku stairs - but do not want to risk the fine/court date/getting arrested. Any info or tips helps!

If anyone is interested in hiking it up together on Friday morning, please let me know. Please send a message or call 9107281246.

Hi! I'm interested in doing this hike on the 29th or 30th of August. If anyone is interested, please email me at

Hi everyone. I'm in Oahu mid September. Anyone else doing this hike during that time? Let's go together, there are two in my group. I'd also love to hear from someone who's done this hike. Thanks in advance! I will be doing some photography up there as well.

Hey im gonna be in honolulu from the 23rd to the 29th one of the things i cant wait to do!! looking for some people to come with . i wanted to start from middle Ridge on the way up then head back down the stairs so we can see best of both
if any one wants to join get at me on or this through facebook and message me

This is a great alternate trail up too the Haiku stairs. I left the parking lot at 7:00Am and was at the top in just under 2 hours. I picked a horrible day to go up, with heavy rain and wind....the mud made for some tough trekking and climbing. Anyone who plans on doing this should definitely take good grippy shoes, gloves and lots of water. All in all it was a good hike.

My husband and I plan on going up Haiku Stairs (via access point 3) AND HIKE DOWN on the Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail.
Any local, experienced with these hikes or even another person/couple interested in joining us?

Does anyone have any experience with this hike down? Any advice/tips? I am really looking for some feedback on this hike down or anything related. Thanks!

Email me- We really want to do this hike but having someone else would be really nice. We have never done this before!

email me:
text: (760) 670-9886

ice climbing

The hike takes about 3.5 hours to get to the top. Make sure you have at least 6 hours to complete this hike. You don't wanna be stuck here at night.

Thinking of doing the trail to the Haiku Stairs look out sometime in the coming days (July 18th-20th). Need a partner(s) to charge up hill with. Experience hiker, just traveling with family who aren't interest and do not want to go alone.

Please let me know if you are interested @

my girlfriend and i will be in town from the 9th-12th, we're very interested in doing this and possibly descending down haiku stairs. would anyone that has done it before like to possibly accompany us? please let me know at thank you!

hi :) anyone else planning to do it in July between 22 and 26th? kindly text me:
Would be great to share the experience with someone else! :)