Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail to the Haiku Stairs

Moanalua Middle Ridge Trail to the Haiku Stairs is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, HI that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

The easiest way to legally hike the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) actually starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. A nice, relatively gradual ascent up to the summit directly over the Haiku Stairs. Can get muddy, as well as some rope and scrambling sections.

If you want to hike this in the next few days let me know! kmsakan@gmail.com

I'm a trail guide with Venture Aloha and will be doing this hike on Dec. 19. I have a few spots open of anyone is interested check us out on IG @VentureAloha or email at venturealoha@gmail.com

someone is available to do that with me on december 28 2016 early ? departure to Wakiki ?
Let me know 628 224 0300
Mahalo!

Anyone up to hike this trail Monday ? Let me know 302.399.5919

anybody wants to do this one with me and my girlfriend the next days?
tominamerika2012@gmail.com

Good stuff

Some of this is reiterating other reviews, but hoping I can help just a couple people!

The first few miles are super easy, just a straight shot to the trail. Right around 3 miles we got to rocks and thought we went too far, but you just have to go up and around the left bank which brings you back to the trail. Once you go around the rocks, a few minutes more and you come to the flash flood/kulana'ahane trail signs. You can't miss the signs! The trail to haiku stairs is right after those signs on the left, there was a pink tie for it.

The first couple miles of the ridge trail is deceivingly easy. We went on a questionable weathered day after rain and it still wasn't too muddy. But then it got pretty sketchy. Very muddy, windy and cloudy for the last ridge. I'm in pretty good shape and I had a couple of minutes of panic wondering what we got ourselves into. A couple of the ropes are tied on to roots that look like they're on their way out.

I spent $5 on gloves at Walmart for the ropes and they were worth every penny. I would also recommend wearing pants, we got a little cut up.

We had every intention of going back down the way we came but we ended up going down the stairs because we chose to risk getting caught over the risk of dying on the ridge. The stairs were a hundred times safer, truly only one spot that was washed out. At the bottom we just got off the stairs to the right to avoid the guard and didn't have any issues. You can hike down a little bit then follow the service road into a neighborhood.

Overall, definitely worth it. The views are unreal!

The views are as rewarding as the effort. However, be cautious as the hike recently have choppered police men land at the radio tower around noonish. The rest of the hike is legal other than your halfway point.
What to bring?: hiking shoes or boots, if it's been raining lately I'd grab some microspikes for safety. Water, 90 oz at least. 3 protein bars. And if you want to be the hero in critical situations, a long rope with a first aid kit. Make sure to have significant phone battery or a good camera to archive such memories. Email me if interested, I don't live far from the start and I'd be down if you are: b2.random@yahoo.com

Everything I ever wanted. Plenty of things that can go right, too many things that can go horribly wrong.
This hike has the best views closest to Honolulu. Couldn't even tell you how absolutely amazing it is.

The first 3 miles, JAM on it because you'll make up a lot of time then.
Super straight forward, real easy.

After about 2.7 - 3 miles you get to a sign on your left hand side that say's Kulana'ahane Trail.
DONT TAKE IT.
Instead trek up about 10m and to the left again is an unmarked trail.
TAKE IT.
It will quickly take you up to where you need to be.
It's going to seem ENDLESS, because think about it - you're climbing to the highest peaks.

As you get towards the top ESPECIALLY at the ridge it gets really muddy and slippery.
It can be very dangerous at the ridge.
Wear a good pair of shoes or boots with grip.

There is a obvious fork in the trail at the top. Left takes you to the radio tower/Haiku stairs, the right... just don't go right...

Hey everyone. So I'm at an Airbnb right down the street from here. Does anybody want to hike this with me?

cosmejohnpalma@icloud.com
(310)405-2972

We did the entire loop plus spent some time at the stairs. Roughly a 9 hr hike with breaks and a slight detour getting lost at the ginger field on the way back. Really amazing hike for the adventurous and definitely not for the faint of heart. Police chopped touched down at top of Haiku stairs to drop off a guard around 1130 so be careful!

Just completed this hike today, started at 10am and was in my car by 530pm. I went to the very top and sat on the Haiku stairs. It was amazing. The trail itself is a bit sketchy but nothing like crouching lion. If anyone has any questions or wants some info feel free to email me.
pure3pk@gmail.com

Dope as fu#k ..

Hey everybody,

I will be in town and attempting this hike again (my second time) on Sept 25. If you haven't done it, it's amazing. Shoot me an email if you want to join. We will be starting very early in the morning so we get to see all the sights during sunrise. Took me 6.5 hours last time.

mmrozelle@gmail.com

Done this trail many times! Kills me every time but I love it!!

Aloha,
I'd like to do this hike on September 5th or 6th.. Looking to go with a small group of people. Please email me erinskitch@hotmail.com.. I'd like to access the Haiku stairs - but do not want to risk the fine/court date/getting arrested. Any info or tips helps!
Mahalo

If anyone is interested in hiking it up together on Friday morning, please let me know. Please send a message or call 9107281246.

Hi! I'm interested in doing this hike on the 29th or 30th of August. If anyone is interested, please email me at happyd@gmail.com.

Mahalo!

Hi everyone. I'm in Oahu mid September. Anyone else doing this hike during that time? Let's go together, there are two in my group. I'd also love to hear from someone who's done this hike. Thanks in advance! I will be doing some photography up there as well. Fraguero1@yahoo.com