Mau'umae Trail

Mau'umae Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

Pretty nice view, but very muddy. I don't think it's 6,6 mile there and back. Maybe like a bird fly... We needed 3l of water. It's definetly worth it to go up :-)

Probably my favourite hike on Oahu so far
Amazing views the whole hike
Sketchy when raining, soft land

Great trail, we climbed it yesterday and only saw 1 other person on it. It is pretty long with some decent climbs, bring lots of water because it gets hot up there. Spectacular views on a secluded trail, I'm rating it 5 stars and it is well deserved .

An amazing, exposed and ungraded ridge hike, with phenomenal views of Diamond Head, Ka'au Crater, a waterfall, Honolulu, and the surrounding valleys. I would highly recommend starting early (to avoid the sun as there is limited overhead cover along the trail), check the forecast (avoiding heavy clouds/rain in the Ko'Olau Range), and wear long pants (as the uluhe ferns overrun the latter half of the trail).

Long, peaceful, beautiful. Stunning views all the way along the ridge.

I Was looking for a trail running trail, only some parts in this case. Could not reach the top because we had few water at mile 3 and we wanted to came back running. Consider using compression socks otherwise Uluhe will hit your legs all over the trail. Amazing views!!!

Definitely more of a hike hike. Stunning views during the whole trail. I suggest not going while damp/ raining, but then again if you do there's endless double rainbows in the canyons. It's uphill and downhill throughout the whole hike. Fresh guava to pick.

Bring water. More water than you think you'll need. Usually I'm more than fine with 1L of water for hikes, for this one I needed more, but ran out going back down. Started about 9:30, no trades, sun was out and ok cloud coverage. It started off hot (pretty much stayed that way) and uncovered for a decent stretch then went into uluhe ferns waist high and at some points, shoulder high (I'm 5'6"). I've done Ka'au Crater, Olomana, and Kamiloiki in shorts. Thank goodness I had pants in my bag as the uluhe were overgrown and obscured the narrow trail pretty much the entire area they were growing. The trail has a lot of ups and downs and long stretches that were narrow (enough for a foot), and rutted out. It hadn't rained it awhile and the trail was dry. Along the way up, you can see Ka'au Crater from here since it's just the next ridge over.
When we got to the top, the clouds were covering the top but it eventually cleared up.

At the entrance, the sign says "Ka Inawa'au Nui Summit 3.5 mi, Lanipo Summit, 3.7 mi. Those in our party believed the top where it flattens out was Lanipo Summit. However, the real summit is to the right (if facing Kailua). There's a short hill, then a taller hill behind it, which is Lanipo summit. It looks much farther than 0.2 miles, but the GPS logged it as 0.2. You have to travel across the spine, but when you're actually on this section, it's not bad at all. It was fairly wide (~2ft) but lots of overgrown foliage covered the trail. We got there in 20 minutes, going slow & steady as there were still drop offs on either side of the trail. When we got to the top, there was a little US Coast Survey marker identifying the hill as Lanipo. The first summit had a better view of the south shore from the airport to the hill that overlooks Hanauma Bay. From both you could see the Koolaus, Chinaman's hat to the Moks. We were traveling at a decent, steady pace & took 2hr, 10 min to get to Ka Inawa'au Nui Summit. Remember....lots of water.

I like this hike because from start to finish you have spectacular unobstructed views of the south side of the island. At the top of the hike you get another spectacular view of the windward side. It stays cool most of the hike and at the midpoint up you hit the cloud line if its low enough with mist, wind and maybe some rain. there were no dangerous spots but there are some steep cliffs but it still felt safe.

I went on this hike by accident. I started off doing Ka'au Crater and got off course (continued up the mountain instead of continuing on the loop) and it was exhausting but totally worth it. After we got to the top we doubled back and finished the Ka'au crater loop. Going back the mountain was very scary. But the view is phenomenal.
I am sore and full of bruises but i don't regret it!

For those who want a good workout hike and close to town trail, this would be it. It is one rollercoaster trail with many false peaks. Once you top out on the Koolau thinking you have summited Pu'u Lanipo when it is actually Kainawa'aunui (elev. 2,520 ft.). Traverse right for another 15 minutes to reach Lanipo. Stuart M. Ball ( author of Native Paths to Volunteer Trails) says this is the premiere and most difficult ridge hike in east Honolulu (page 56)

One of the more difficult South Shore climbs to the Koolau Summit. It's longer than Hawaii Loa Ridge, less maintained than Waahila Ridge and muddier than both of them put together. It's a good, long, challenging hike. Wear pants and go when it's not raining but at a cooler time of the year for the best conditions. It begins at a narrow rocky portion then ascends into the mountain forest. Once into the uluhe ferns that's when things become hard. There are views of Kaau Crater and nearby Wiliwilinui Ridge, as well as the views of Waikiki and Diamond Head. What made this hike a bummer for me was seeing the waterfalls of Kaau Crater and yearning to be there instead of on my way to Lanipo.