EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Maunawili Falls Trail

Maunawili Falls Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, HI that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

old growth

A nice hike through the jungle to great view of Kailua, Maunawilli Falls, and a swimming hole. Maunawili Trail contours the base of the Koolau Mountain Range on the windward side. It begins off the Pali Highway and ends in Waimanalo. It offers spectacular views of the windward side of Oahu, Olomana, and the Koolaupoko watershed. Vegetation along the trail includes mountain apple, rose apple, ti, naupaka, mamake, lobelia, koa and ohia. Maunawili Trail is a good family trail. There are three access points for this trail. The Maunawilli Falls Trail is a great hike in Kailua along the river that eventually stops at a beautiful waterfall with a great swimming hole below. Many people like to jump from the waterfall into the pool below, and some with a bit more courage even climb higher to the side of the waterfall to jump further (try at your own risk). The trail is often muddy, especially after rains, and you will cross the river several times along the trail. About half way through the hike you will break out of the trees for some nice views of the surrounding mountains and views towards Kailua in the distance.

This hike is awesome. It's pretty stunning most of the way with gorgeous views and a great waterfall at the end. We jumped from the falls a few times and the water is cold but refreshing. But! Its seriously muddy as hell. Wear tennis shoes you're ok with getting covered in mud, because they will. I felt like my feet had a mind of their own and went all Tasmanian devil on me while I clung to trees and vines trying not to fall. It's muddy. I read all the reviews and was still totally shocked. But it's worth it. Also! Wear bug spray! I got eaten alive.

Such a wonderful hike! It's not too difficult and shaded most of the trail with a beautiful waterfall at the end! Totally worth it.

I love it! Walking middle of the rainforest and the and you can jump from 15feet 20 feet or 40 feet high waterfall. Lovely ☺️

The trail was muddy so be sure to wear shoes or boots that you don't mind tossing afterwards or go barefoot. The waterfall at the end was refreshing and well worth it. Cliff jumping was awesome. If you don't mind getting dirty then this is the trip for you. Overall muddy but easy n mellow hike to the waterfall.

this was the best part of my trip to Hawaii. check out my video of our group doing this hike.

This trail was so muddy that I'd consider it dangerous. Tried it this morning. Our third hike in three days. I'm an avid and experienced hiker. This is the first time I've ever had to turn around. Only on my way out did I see the sign warning of leptospirosis. The other reviews saying "muddy" didn't do justice to the trail as encountered today.

Overall decent hike! the mud took away from some of the classic nature of hiking though, more of an obstacle course. don't bother trying to stay clean, it's impossible. The waterfall was suuper refreshing and definitely the best part!

awesome. best part of my vacation in Hawaii. Muddy the entire way but well worth it.

Super muddy when I went, but the water is great!

Be careful when jumping off the tallest rock into the water. That's how my friend broke her back and almost got paralyzed. Many other people who jumped came out and their ears started to bleed. There's smaller rocks to jump off of

Muddy! Super slippery but fun. Vines and branches were our best friend. Do not try and stay out of the mud, just accept it. We brought extra clothes and flip flops to a change into after, plastic bags to keep our muddy clothes and shoes and a towel to sit on (we rented a car). Water bottle helps and maybe lunch or snacks. We ended up staying at the falls and jumping and watching everyone else for two hours before we hiked back. Do not, I say do not wear flip flops or Sandals. We saw plenty of shoes along the way and barefoot people because they just ditched the slippers.

Went on a beautiful day :) Was simple and fun!

Great hike. Go early so you can get good parking. Wet and muddy, muddy, muddy in most areas. very slippery! Read reviews and prepare! Hiking sticks help a great deal! waterfall and swim area gorgeous!

Pretty decent hike.