EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Maunawili Falls Trail

Maunawili Falls Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, HI that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

old growth

A nice hike through the jungle to great view of Kailua, Maunawilli Falls, and a swimming hole. Maunawili Trail contours the base of the Koolau Mountain Range on the windward side. It begins off the Pali Highway and ends in Waimanalo. It offers spectacular views of the windward side of Oahu, Olomana, and the Koolaupoko watershed. Vegetation along the trail includes mountain apple, rose apple, ti, naupaka, mamake, lobelia, koa and ohia. Maunawili Trail is a good family trail. There are three access points for this trail. The Maunawilli Falls Trail is a great hike in Kailua along the river that eventually stops at a beautiful waterfall with a great swimming hole below. Many people like to jump from the waterfall into the pool below, and some with a bit more courage even climb higher to the side of the waterfall to jump further (try at your own risk). The trail is often muddy, especially after rains, and you will cross the river several times along the trail. About half way through the hike you will break out of the trees for some nice views of the surrounding mountains and views towards Kailua in the distance.

15 minutes ago

Embrace the mud and you will enjoy the hike even more . Bring old shoes if you have any. Hike is about 2.56 miles round trip on garmin 610. Took me 44 min to get to falls and about 40 to get back.

We took our four children on this hike (ages 9, 6, 3, & 1). It was definitely muddy for nearly the entire hike. The baby rode in the backpack and the 3 y/o really struggled but we made it up and back!! It is an incredible view. And if you are using the Kailua tourist map, don't be deceived... it is NOT a 1 mile hike. This hike was closer to 6 miles and took us a total of 7 hours with a lot of breaks. It was worth doing at least once with the kids.

The trail itself was awful, but jumping into the water under the falls was a blast!

Super muddy. Had our 6 and 10 yr old with us. The 6 yr old had a little bit of a hard time with all the mud. The falls were crowded but still awesome!

Muddy!!!!

muddy but worth it. could be super dangerous so be careful and dont wear fip flops

Super easy trail, not marked well, only 2-3 signs i've seen with long distances in between but obviously doable because I made it! Lol. Waterfall is beautiful and fun to jump off of the rocks and swim there. Only cons to this trail is the MUD!!! I can't stress enough how bad it is! It is super fun though when you're with friends and having a good time! Expect to fall or almost fall in the mud at some point lol. Oh and mosquitos are bad and some parts smelt like manure!! All in all though fun trail! I spent 4 & 1/2 hours there with about a hour at the falls.

If you LOVE thick, sticky, slippery, ankle deep mud this one is for you! Do NOT let the 1.5 mile in/out fool you. It is a slow go in many spots. We hiked this today with our 4 girls (ages 12, 11, 4 and 1). It took us every bit of 2 hours each direction. Our 11 year old was not loving the mud. Our 12 year old thought it was the best hike ever:)! Our 4 year old did well in the drier areas but we did have to carry her through the deeper mud which equated to her only doing about 1/2 of it on her own. I baby wore our 18 month old which workout out fine, just be careful and take it slow. If it would have just been my husband and I, we would have been to the waterfall with-in an hour. The views are beautiful and jumping off the waterfall was for sure the highlight of the day! If you are an athletic adventurous family, this one is for you. If not, you may want to skip this one.

Muddy muddy muddy. Beautiful tropical view. Nice waterfall.

Real cool. We even walked the stream down instead of using the trail.

So much fun. We laughed the whole way simply because of how muddy you get. Be safe and watch where you step and don't be afraid to get a little dirty!! The waterfall at the end is a beautiful reward

This hike is awesome. It's pretty stunning most of the way with gorgeous views and a great waterfall at the end. We jumped from the falls a few times and the water is cold but refreshing. But! Its seriously muddy as hell. Wear tennis shoes you're ok with getting covered in mud, because they will. I felt like my feet had a mind of their own and went all Tasmanian devil on me while I clung to trees and vines trying not to fall. It's muddy. I read all the reviews and was still totally shocked. But it's worth it. Also! Wear bug spray! I got eaten alive.

Such a wonderful hike! It's not too difficult and shaded most of the trail with a beautiful waterfall at the end! Totally worth it.

I love it! Walking middle of the rainforest and the and you can jump from 15feet 20 feet or 40 feet high waterfall. Lovely ☺️

The trail was muddy so be sure to wear shoes or boots that you don't mind tossing afterwards or go barefoot. The waterfall at the end was refreshing and well worth it. Cliff jumping was awesome. If you don't mind getting dirty then this is the trip for you. Overall muddy but easy n mellow hike to the waterfall.

this was the best part of my trip to Hawaii. check out my video of our group doing this hike.