Maunawili Falls Trail

Maunawili Falls Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A nice hike through the jungle to great view of Kailua, Maunawilli Falls, and a swimming hole. Maunawili Trail contours the base of the Koolau Mountain Range on the windward side. It begins off the Pali Highway and ends in Waimanalo. It offers spectacular views of the windward side of Oahu, Olomana, and the Koolaupoko watershed. Vegetation along the trail includes mountain apple, rose apple, ti, naupaka, mamake, lobelia, koa and ohia. Maunawili Trail is a good family trail. There are three access points for this trail. The Maunawilli Falls Trail is a great hike in Kailua along the river that eventually stops at a beautiful waterfall with a great swimming hole below. Many people like to jump from the waterfall into the pool below, and some with a bit more courage even climb higher to the side of the waterfall to jump further (try at your own risk). The trail is often muddy, especially after rains, and you will cross the river several times along the trail. About half way through the hike you will break out of the trees for some nice views of the surrounding mountains and views towards Kailua in the distance.

1 minute ago

It was a great hike. Plan on taking a bathing suit and a towel. As well as, wearing a good pair of shoes; ones you won't mind getting dirty. This trail gets very muddy and is impossible to not cross the river without getting wet, once you near the end. The waterfall and pool is beautiful and worth it all. Glad we did this during our stay here.

Hiked on a dry day still a bit muddy. Bring your swimsuit and a small towel the pool at the base of the falls is very refreshing. Couple of river crossings, very cool hike.

Beautiful frail to waterfall with nice swimming area.

Amazing views on the hike. It was muddy so I would recommend going on a day where there isn't rain or plans for rain. The water fall is great, the jumps are great with the depths definitely deep enough. Great hike, but remember pick up your trash and respect nature.

Trail was easy and relatively flat. Should've brought a swimsuit!

VERY MUDDY hike when wet. We went on a rainy day and it was the muddiest hike I've ever done. I've done over 50 different hikes in my life.
However it was still great! The swimming hole at the end was top notch! In muddy conditions just barely doable with young children. In dry conditions it would be a breeze.

Super muddy! So be prepared! took me and my 10 year old about 1.5-2 hours each way. The waterfall is worth all the mud! Great swimming hole.

Aloha,

I'm going to be taking a small group here on the 25 of January. If you're interested in coming this way with a guide email me at venturealoha@gmail.com and follow my IG @venturealoha

Great Hike

Very muddy.

Beautiful and a great hike! The waterfall at the end is worth it. Me and my parent made it to the water fall in 3 hours because we kept stopping because my mom needed to take it slow but, the hike could be completed in about 1 hour. Beware extremely muddy!!!!! Wear good hiking shoes or boots!

It was really really really muddy! I went the wrong trail and missed the waterfall :(