Maunalaha Trail

Maunalaha Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from The intersection of Nehoa and Makiki Streets in Honolulu: Proceed mauka and turn left on Makiki Heights Drive. Continue for approximately 0.5 mile until the road makes a sharp left turn (look for a row of mailboxes on the right side of the road). Proceed straight ahead past the mailboxes through a green gate. There is a sign that says, Makiki Forest Recreation Area. Proceed mauka, past the Nature Center until you encounter the Forestry and Wildlife baseyard. Hiker parking is in the lot to the right of the baseyard.

keeps you active.. not too much of views

Great hike with amazing views. Definitely was muddy and the slick rocks must be respected. The water falls are spectacular. Recommend going counterclockwise for most enjoyable experience. Suspect this will be a repeat hike for years.

Super fun and good to keep active!

Harder than the 'easy' rating suggests. Yes I'm older but my knees are yelling at me this evening. The downward muddy, leg-pounding journey left my wife and I aching for a hot tub. Glad we did it though.

Did the Makiki Loop this trail with the Valley and Kanealole trail. Just under 4 miles. It was a little muddy but all in all it was a easy trail. It's nice and well mapped. When you get to the hikers parking lot walk up the road to see the trail on the right.

Great family trail! Can be muddy if it's been raining. Parking is easy just get out before sunset. Busy on the weekends and can be in early AM too. Good for skilled trail runner but can be really dangerous at times.

Well maintained trail

It was perfect for my 3 year old! Fun versatile trail with a lot of tree roots to use for footing.

Nice hike, it was decently long, easy to get to and it has been maintained well

Very nice hike. Loved the density of the trees. Lots of rocks which can be slippery when wet. It was raining but we had good canopy coverage from the trees. Be sure to follow signs or you end up on different trails.

It was fun. Spectacular part of the trail ridge along a ridge surrounded by trees. Views aren't 100% because of the trees but that was my favorite part.

Great hike and easy to do with kids!

Easy hike for any skill level. Good uphill grade that will wake up your legs if u start from the nature center. Nice gentle downhill cool down on the way back. Connects to makiki valley trail.

Good trail for any skill level. Steep and good workout if you push yourself. Also connects to lots of of other trails.

Beautiful hike, although I wish there were better views of the stream. The grade is fairly steep and there was a lot of scree and slippery mud when I went. Watch your footing.

Great morning hike!!

I started this trail from Round Top Drive. It was rainy, and I was wearing a really lightweight packable Marmot rain shell with a hood which wasn't too hot and worked great. Although I had running shoes with me, I chose to wear Nike athletic-style flip flops (decent construction with a padded food bed) because it was rainy and muddy and I didn't want to get my shoes all muddy since I was flying home from Oahu that evening and already checked out of my hotel so didn't really have any way to wash muddy shoes. The flip flops actually worked ok in the rain and mud. I did this trail on a Thursday over the lunch hour, and there was nobody on it, and I mean that I did not see another single, solitary soul. It was really peaceful. At times it was sunny, and at times it was raining so hard that I could barely see and there were rivers of water going through/among the trail. It got a little slippery at times due to the mud. It wasn't strenuous but you do have to watch your footing so you don't fall down into the mud or slide down a ravine, etc. There were a few spots where it was a little tricky and a fall could have been dangerous. I wouldn't bring babies or small kids on this one. I walked it at a brisk pace but didn't try to run due to the rain/mud and my footwear. The scenery was mostly rainforest with breaks in the trees. You go up and down the valley, so lots of up and down terrain. I went almost to the end then turned back and and went back to where I started to get my car. Bring water, a rain shell or poncho, waterproof or water resistant shoes, and your phone/camera. There are lots of interconnected trails, so if you have a map or know the system you could do a loop and/or multiple trails. It was a fun trail. I recommend if you'd like to get into the rainforest.

Nice and easy trail.