Lahaina Pali Trail from the Ukumehame (West) Trailhead

Lahaina Pali Trail from the Ukumehame (West) Trailhead is a 4.5 mile point-to-point trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

4.5 miles 1765 feet Point to Point

This was definitely the hardest trail we did on our trip, but the views were spectacular. The trail is a continuous hill, with some rocks. Bring a lot of water. We brought 2L each, and it wasn't enough. We had 4 hours to complete this hike, and it wasn't enough. We had to turn around about 3/4 of the way up. I'd allow 6 hours to do the whole out and back.

Spectacular hike with breathtaking views of the mountain and ocean below. I started at 7:30 am and was happy I did - very little shade so bring lots of water. The ascent was much easier than the descent on account of the consistently changing rocky surfaces. I wore minimalist trail running shoes and recommend something that offers a bit more stability and cushion for the descent. If you go early you'll likely see several whale pods (3 in my case). If you're staying in Lahaina this is a must-do!

This trail is fairly difficult because it is an uneven surface. Lots of boulders to walk on and climb up. Definitely need tennis shoes at least. Beautiful fees of the ocean, windmills and mountains.

This was the hardest hike I've had in a long time.

Nice steep trail with no shade. Great view. Bring Sunscreen!

Definitely hard. We did it at 1pm. Hot! One way and Uber it back.

Great trail with beautiful views, but don't take it if there are gale warnings! Friend and I did it on a gale warning day and we had to stop about a quarter of the way after we both almost got blown off the rocks within 5 minutes of each other.

geocaching

Nice train with great view and scenic shots. Worth bringing a camera. Trail is do-able for any age group. Bring lots of H2O because there's not too much shade; preferable to go in the morning or when there's clouds

Great trail, rocky and a steady climb. Made it to the wind mills (about 2mi) and turned around.

Started on the West side, only went up to the windmills, but a great day hike. Lots of field mice on the trail. It's super windy so you won't feel the sun, but it's still going to burn you (I speak from experience). I concur with some reviewers below, the trailhead is a bit hard to find. I was so distracted by the views of the shore that I walked right by it. You'll start on the old highway, but pretty soon after that there will be a trail on your left that goes up the mountain. There are arrows painted on the ground, but somehow I completely missed it. If you start to see the chain link fences on the ground to prevent rock slides, you've missed the trail.

We took the trail from the Maalaea side, headed up to the windmills (just past the 2.5 mile mark) and got some fantastic views of the valley and ocean on both sides. The first mile or so past the trailhead was very steep, but then it got a little better and less exhausting. The full 10 miles would have been way too much for us given the elevation gain, but it worked great as an out-and-back to the halfway point, and took us just around 2.5 hours total. All in all a very enjoyable hike!

We took two cars, left one at the Maalaea trailhead, the other on the Lahaina side where we began the hike. As noted in other reviews, go early. There is little shade and the sun can be brutal later in the day. The trail ascends dramatically, crossing between windmills #10 and #11 on the lower section (there is an upper section with, if I recall correctly, 14 more). The elevation at this point is probably 2000 to 2500 feet, from where one has spectacular views of Haleakala to the south and east, Maalaea below, Kaho'olawe and Molokini to the south and west, Lana'i to the west. From December to April, the humpback whales in the channels between the various islands will be readily visible. The descent on the eastern side is unnoteworthy, again hot and dry. Sunscreen, a wide brimmed hat, good footwear, and adequate water are necessities.

What an amazing hike! It's a bit painful trying to find the trail head, but totally worth the efforts. We started from Lahaina side early in the morning since a lot of reviews suggested that. I am glad we did that since the hot blaring sun gets unbearable on this un-shaded trail pretty fast. This trail shoots straight up from the get-go. It is not for the faint of the heart. However, the views are amazing even if you only stay on the trail for 15 minutes.

The directions to the trail head is easier from airport: Turn right to the first patch of trees once you pass the tunnel, From Lahaina, turn left as soon as you pass a big rocky wall with mesh on your left(preventing falling rocks). About 20 minutes from either airport or Lahaina.