Lahaina Pali Trail

Lahaina Pali Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Wailuku, HI that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

4.9 miles 1945 feet Point to Point

Directions from Wailuku: Both trail heads are accessible from Honoapiilani Highway (30). The eastern trail head lies 2.5 miles south of Wailuku Town via an unimproved road adjacent to the junction of Kuihelani Highway (380) and Kihei Road (31). Hikers should arrange to be dropped at the end of the un-improved road as there are no parking facilities and the land is privately owned. The western trail head lies 10 miles south of Lahaina and 3 miles west of Maalaea Harbor. The parking area is accessible from Highway 30 at Manawaipueo Gulch about 0.25 mile north of the Pali tunnel.

Amazing views, great uphill (ankle breaker descent), and perfect on a cloudy, non windy day. Bring water! The wind turbines are worth a look.

We hiked from the Maalaea side to the wind turbines and back after starting at the highway, not the parking lot. The terrain is incredibly rugged and very steep on this side of the ridge; we had to stop several times to catch our breath. What's more, the wind was intense, bordering on brutal at times as we got closer to the top. There is no real cover out here, so be mindful of your sun exposure, as well as the sand in the wind.

Once you pass the first mile or so, the trail becomes much more manageable as you approach the turbines. At the top of the ridge, the views are great! Unfortunately, the wind was easily blowing 60+ mph the day we were there which made enjoying the view rather difficult.

The way down is easy as cake until you get to the insanely rocky section, which can be very hard on your feet and ankles as you try to find your footing on the rough rocks. This hike will make even an experienced hiker sore. All in all, I liked it, but it was a little tougher than I expected.

Excellent trail, yes it is hard, just rest when needed, worth the hike up. You'll think you're close to the top but then there's another hill around the bend. Keep going! Great views and the trip down is so much faster. Just watch out for loose stones.

When arriving, we notice very large amounts of auto glass in the secluded parking area. At first we thought maybe someone wrecked but there were too many areas to say it wasn't from someone breaking into vehicles. We decided not to risk leaving our vehicle there and did not hike the trail.

Difficult trail - great exercise and views when you stop to look around, however the trail is precarious enough that most of our time hiking was spent looking at our feet :(

Start from the beach end and make it an out an back loop. the high point of the trail is around 2.5 miles in and puts you right under the wind turbines which is cool.

It was all uphill the first half and all downhill the second half, and I personally like to change it up. There also wasn't much shade, but the view was pretty once you got up there!

Overall I found this hike pretty good. The scenery was incredible in relation to the ocean and Kihei. The only downside was you are not permitted to hike up higher to reach the peak.

I would recommend this hike, be sure to pack the sunscreen, there is a lot of sun exposure.

I hiked to the end and back so left my car at the parking lot just south of Lahaina. The views are just great. There is basically no shade on this trail so an early morning start and lots of water is advisable.

Great hike! Geology is great: pillow basalts and gem quality olivine crystals. You'll see beautiful wild flowers and lots of wildlife. The views are spectacular.

Fun trail! Beautiful landscape and view of the water. Very rewarding!

Good hike with nice mountain views on the Maalea side and beautiful ocean views on the Lahaina side. It's hot and dessert conditions but the wind cools you down. If there's no wind it would be really hot! Bring lots of water. I did the full 11miles and ran out on the last couple miles. Most people just do an out and back to the windmills or park a second car at the other end to just do a point to point hike. It took me about 4hrs to do. Footing is pretty good. Some loose rock so be careful especially going down.

Great view of Haleakala, Molokini, Kahalui. If you only have one car I suggest starting at the trail near the aquarium side. The turn around if you are coming from Lahaina is at the coconut stand. The hike is steep at first but all camera worthy. We hiked it in chacos. I would not recommend hiking it in the middle of the day but late afternoon or early morning.

This is a legitimate trail run. Technical trail with some good steep climbs.

If you want to hike to a destination or peak do not hike this trail. It basically goes from one parking lot to another.

Awesome views, not as tough as proclaimed. Definitely worth a couple hours for the views from the top.

This is a nice hike with great views of the ocean. I'd recommend a hat. It can get very windy up there.