Lahaina Pali Trail

Lahaina Pali Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Wailuku, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

4.9 miles 1942 feet Point to Point

Directions from Wailuku: Both trail heads are accessible from Honoapiilani Highway (30). The eastern trail head lies 2.5 miles south of Wailuku Town via an unimproved road adjacent to the junction of Kuihelani Highway (380) and Kihei Road (31). Hikers should arrange to be dropped at the end of the un-improved road as there are no parking facilities and the land is privately owned. The western trail head lies 10 miles south of Lahaina and 3 miles west of Maalaea Harbor. The parking area is accessible from Highway 30 at Manawaipueo Gulch about 0.25 mile north of the Pali tunnel.

fantastic trail. we went midday and with sufficient water it is totally fine even without much shade along the way. very well marked. just challenging enough. spectacular views. straightforward footing.

Beautiful views of the ocean the entire way up. Not an easy hike, but but a great half day activity and worth the views! If you don't do the entire hike, make sure you at least go to the 2.0 mile marker for the best view of the gulch.

I did this hike one morning when I was off from work. Recommend starting at around 7 in the am (earlier the better). Can get very hot when the sun is out. Start on the Maalea side. Awesome views all along the trial. I suggest bringing plenty of water and sunscreen. The turbines at the top are huge. I thoroughly enjoyed this hike.

Amazing views, great uphill (ankle breaker descent), and perfect on a cloudy, non windy day. Bring water! The wind turbines are worth a look.

We hiked from the Maalaea side to the wind turbines and back after starting at the highway, not the parking lot. The terrain is incredibly rugged and very steep on this side of the ridge; we had to stop several times to catch our breath. What's more, the wind was intense, bordering on brutal at times as we got closer to the top. There is no real cover out here, so be mindful of your sun exposure, as well as the sand in the wind.

Once you pass the first mile or so, the trail becomes much more manageable as you approach the turbines. At the top of the ridge, the views are great! Unfortunately, the wind was easily blowing 60+ mph the day we were there which made enjoying the view rather difficult.

The way down is easy as cake until you get to the insanely rocky section, which can be very hard on your feet and ankles as you try to find your footing on the rough rocks. This hike will make even an experienced hiker sore. All in all, I liked it, but it was a little tougher than I expected.

Excellent trail, yes it is hard, just rest when needed, worth the hike up. You'll think you're close to the top but then there's another hill around the bend. Keep going! Great views and the trip down is so much faster. Just watch out for loose stones.

When arriving, we notice very large amounts of auto glass in the secluded parking area. At first we thought maybe someone wrecked but there were too many areas to say it wasn't from someone breaking into vehicles. We decided not to risk leaving our vehicle there and did not hike the trail.

Difficult trail - great exercise and views when you stop to look around, however the trail is precarious enough that most of our time hiking was spent looking at our feet :(

Start from the beach end and make it an out an back loop. the high point of the trail is around 2.5 miles in and puts you right under the wind turbines which is cool.

It was all uphill the first half and all downhill the second half, and I personally like to change it up. There also wasn't much shade, but the view was pretty once you got up there!

Overall I found this hike pretty good. The scenery was incredible in relation to the ocean and Kihei. The only downside was you are not permitted to hike up higher to reach the peak.

I would recommend this hike, be sure to pack the sunscreen, there is a lot of sun exposure.

I hiked to the end and back so left my car at the parking lot just south of Lahaina. The views are just great. There is basically no shade on this trail so an early morning start and lots of water is advisable.