Lahaina "L" and David Malo's Grave Trail

Lahaina "L" and David Malo's Grave Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lahaina, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Is this trail closed now? There seems to be some confusion as to whether there is an actual trail or not?

To get to the trail. Park at the little field on the right of Lahainaluna Rd, just at the high school. Hop the fence and hike towards the power station there will be a single track trail to the left at the power station. Follow this trail to the wooden cover and take the first cane road up the hill. This will change to a single track trail. Once your at the next cane road follow that till you get to the bottom of the eucalyptus trees. The trail will be marked with orange tape. Go up, there will be a split in the trail. The wiki wiki trail goes to the L, but steeply. The trail going right is longer but has switch backs. Enjoy!

My wife and I tried to do this trail on our honeymoon. I don't think it exists. We were driving around and near the high school like a couple of creeps trying to find the trail head. Never found it. Don't waste your time on this.

hard to find the trail. many adjoining trails, ended up in thick brush. after 4 hours, much adventure and no L:(

hyxdsjtkb fudge brownies are cancxer inducing

We tried to hike this a couple weeks ago. Never made it. Do you have to climb a fence. Is the trail open for public use?

I have done this trail many times over the years. The impression given is that one is trespassing, but one can park the car some distance below the school and sneak past. From below the top of the L looks about 800 feet above the sea but it is actually about 2100 feet. The trail is also steeper than it looks, so it is a fantastic workout. Even if you are very fit you will sweat buckets. I do the trail in swimming shorts - cotton shorts and underwear would get very heavy with sweat - and then go straight into the sea when I get down. The route takes a big zig-zag across the old sugar cane fields, the key being to take the long horizontal trail to the south past some mango trees (about five) then straight up to the top of the fields via a steep track. From near the top right corner of the fields one takes a small trail through woods up lava runnels, which eventually lead to the top. I am hoping to do this again tomorrow and it looks as though quite a lot of vegetation has been cut back in the upper part of the trail.

Some of the hiking guides are pretty bad re this trail. One talks about the "L" being 30 feet high and etched into the rock. It is actually a clearing several hundred feet high, and the white letter was made with white plastic fertiliser bags. So you know those guide book writers have never been there. Looking up from sea level today, it looks as though those white bags have been removed.

My wife told me I couldn't do it so I decided to proof her wrong, half way up the mountain I started to think she was right. However I kept to it and mastered the trail. I recommend food and water the base of the big L makes for a great picnic area. And if you still have a little energy to burn go a little further and see the rest of the mountains.

We made that climb our bitch. It was so much fun. Me and my buddy Andrew are totally awesome and killed it. Alot harder than it lOoks so water an food I a must. We went past the L and it was totally worth the climb for the view.