Kuliouou Ridge Trail

Kuliouou Ridge Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail that rises almost 1800 feet before peaking on the spine of the Ko`olau Ridge. It's a great hike and a tough run, for it is steep, but it is very run-able and offers a great reward in the form of spectacular views. The locals say that you're suppose to run to the top, come back down to the picnic table, and then run back to the top again.

39 minutes ago

Whew! This trail starts out nice and easy but quickly evolves into a difficult one. All Trails says it's only 4.4 miles but it's more like 7 total. Lots of roots and mud so watch out for slips. Not too much scenery until you hit the very top. Take lots of water. I've read reviews of taking small kids but I can't imagine. This trail kicked my butt.

There isn't much I can say about this hike that others haven't already said. I will note that some people I met on the trail seemed to have misjudged the amount of energy required to hike this trail. For example I was so surprised on how many hikers failed to carry water and how many brought their dogs...There were two I passed on the way down carrying their dogs up the path. Not judging, just asking dog owners to do this hike first before taking their dogs. I offered up my water on two occasions as well. Bring water! This hike is a steady ascend all the way through until you reach the summit where the ascend is more pronounced (going up several flights of stairs). The view at the top is awesome but the views along the way is also definitely worth noting. Especially when the foliage changes from lush greenery to pine trees and back again. Lots of roots to trek over mid way through and it got quite muddy and slippery, otherwise the trail is very easy to navigate through and the "cow trails" made it easy to stick to the path.

Awesome workout, but go when it's not rainy or muddy, It causes for a slower pace. My 5 year old daughter, dog, husband and myself took about 4 hours there and back. Bring lots of water and go in the morning so you have sunlight and don't get caught in the dark.

This hike is absolutely stunning and well worth the stair master climb to the top. You literally climb hundreds of steps to get to the lookout but when you arrive it is an amazing reward. Make sure you're in good shape for this!

It was pretty long and a variety of peeks and going up mountain other than that view is pretty nice I advice to go 2 or before because it gets dark pretty fast and the Rangers had to get us because it was pitch black

Fun trail, final ascent was muddy but the view and atmosphere was very much worth the trek. The foliage changes with elevation were very interesting to see!

Lots of steps to the top. The view from the top was breathtaking. It's all worth it!

Best hiking! Best view!

Extremely muddy... loved it!

Fun starter ridge trail. Did by myself! Of course people are on the trail near me so I wasn't really alone. Nice workout. Muddy but beautiful scenic points!

I really enjoyed this hike. Very cool pine tree forest and awesome views at the top! The hike is mostly in the shade, but still wear sunscreen for the times the sun peaks through and also at the summit. It took us about 3.5 hours round trip, including a half hour break at the top. It's a steady incline the whole way up, and when you get to the stairs you're almost done! There are two sets of stairs just FYI, but they aren't bad. If it's recently rained I highly suggest hiking shoes or shoes you don't care about getting really muddy. There were many mucky puddles!

This is a nice hike. The trailhead is fairly easy to reach, I walked about 1.6miles from the bus stop. I would agree this is a moderate level hike, it's a good work out and way to spend a morning. The scenery is nice, with a few changes in vegetation, a bit of muddy climb up with some steps towards the top, the view at the top is nice also. Not a hard hike nor spectacular but okay. I valued the work out aspect it more than for the scenery, but each to their own.

Great trail. Moderate in difficulty. Good for hiking with a mixed group of ability levels.

Great hike. Even good for kids that have some hiking experience. Love how the terrain changes multiple times and also love the beautiful Norfolk pines.

It was so worth it!!!!