Kolowalu Trail

Kolowalu Trail is a 2.4 mile out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

2.4 miles Out & Back

It was very rocky and very steep. The ground was dry so I didn't have any trouble, but if there was rain it would be extremely slippery. The top of the trail almost required climbing, so I turned around. I went on a Saturday and didn't see a person the whole time!

Rocky.

This is a great hike. My first ridge hike with city views. It was not that hard! I loved it!

By far one of my favorite trails! Amazing workout and a constant incline! Doesn't take to long and is usually not crowded. Nice view of Manoa. Can be muddy so watch the weather!

Steep finger ridge trail that took us about 4 hours there and back, with a 30 min break. Once you reach the top where it meets Waihila ridge, take a left and hike for 2-3 minutes and you get a great panorama of all of Manoa Valley and the Waikiki skyline. This truly completes the hike on a clear sunny day.

Took a more direct approach to the Koolaus via Kolowalu trail, a steep finger ridge trail that connects to Wa'ahila Ridge. Can be strenuous for a novice hiker or someone who is not in good shape. It pretty much rained the entire time which adds more thrills ( and spills) to this short journey to the Koolaus ( Awa'awa'loa is a hill on the range). Lost phone connection a few times so my one-way track is incomplete.
Total miles: 3 Elevation gain = 2,400 feet Total time = 4 hrs. 21 mins.