Koko Crater Arch Trail

Koko Crater Arch Trail is a 0.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

beach

Very short, yes, but you'll need 1-1.5 hours.

This is not for you if you're not sure footed, or you are afraid of heights. It's very steep and slippery with loose rocks.

It's not a sanctioned hike so go at your own risk.

Once you reach the base of the arch, you're faced with a pretty steep incline. The rock is dusty and crumbly, and sometimes it is hard to get good footing. There were a few times where I found myself thinking, "Welp, I'm bout to slip and slide down the mountain." But somehow, I managed to keep a grip. We also encountered a few small wasp nests going up the left side of the arch. Unless you are a coconut tree-climbing native braddah or sistah, who just got off work at the Polynesian Cultural Center, I'd bring good shoes. The right side was pretty challenging going up, but not as back going down.

Once there under the arch, on a hot day, the shade and breeze coming through the arch is just awesome. I haven't gone on top of the arch yet. First time I didn't have the balls. Second time it was too windy, and my pack was too heavy so... didn't have the balls lol.

Just because you hear about some dude going up in his rubber slippers, or you see pics on IG of girls barefoot in their bikinis, doesn't mean it's real. They probably hiked up with at least shoes. Maybe not clothes. Who knows.

quick and easy little hike

This hike is not hard! It's only sketchy if u go to the right side of the arch - don't go to that side go to the left and it's a breeze! Very rewarding views for a fairly short hike! The most dangerous part is crossing the street from the blowhole!!!

This hike is cool and offers cool views, but it's a one and done deal for me and I wouldn't do it again. I felt pretty unsafe because there are some super steep parts and loose gravel which makes it very easy to slip and fall. It's actually an easy hike until you get to the arch and then it's difficult. Make sure you wear shoes/hiking boots with a good grip. Park at Sandy Beach, then walk towards the Blow Hole and look for mile marker 15. You'll see a wall of rocks right after where the metal fence ends - that is where you climb up to start the hike. Once you climb up that, you'll be on the ridge and then you continue on towards the arch. You can either go under the arch or above it. If you go above it you can continue on along the path (we didn't do this part - too scary!) but other people were.