Kealia Trail

Kealia Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Graded ridge trail, views of gliders, parachutists and north and leeward shores Stewart Ball's Hikers guide to Oahu has an excellent description of the trail and is highly recommended for any hiking on Oahu. The trail head is across from the parking lot and proceeds inland on a wide paved road. Go around the chain and go left at the fork (keep concrete hanger on your right). At the base of the ridge follow the trail as it switchbacks up the face. At the top there is a covered picnic bench. Continue inland and ascend fire road. When you reach a junction near an old fence line go right. You will pass a rusted water tank on the right. Enter the Kuaokala public hunting area. At the next junction turn left. Turn left when you reach the T junction. Pass a small water catchment and tank on the right. At the junction with the Kuaokala Trail bear right and slightly up to ridge rim. You will be overlooking the Makua Valley Military Training Area.

Really go for the views. Hike itself is not challenging and fairly easy if you hike more on the regular. This is beginner in terms of difficulty, with SLIGHT incline. Trail itself is easy enough that you can wear a pair of running shoes and be just fine. Gorgeous views, but if you are looking for a workout, look elsewhere.

Ah what a nice hike! I'm so glad to get switchback instead of stairs. And there's lots of shade, which helps after getting some sunburn yesterday. It was also pretty windy towards the top which felt great.

There weren't many unobstructed views towards the end so it's tough to get clean photos but the views for myself were worth it.

Love it, nice pavilion at the top, also connects with a few other trails if you are up for some more serious miles. Used to run up here often, very beautiful.

A few take aways from todays hike, if you're a plodder like me, plan on 5 1/2 to 6 hours to do the whole trail. That's a steady pace with time for breaks and pictures, if your looking for a workout,obviously it will be less time. Today it was 81 degrees, I brought 2 liters of water. Enough to drink, but not enough to stay well hydrated. The trail is clear enough up to the first gate, (go through and just left for the best view of the valley) into the Army training area. I say first gate because I went through two, neither of which are mentioned in the best hikes in Oahu book, a rather large over site in my opinion. Passing through the first gate, the trail follows a wire fence with marginal views. I hit my turn around time after reaching the 2nd gate (late start) The trail kept on meandering around the hill away from the valley and the grand view I though I'd find was not to be. If I wanted to look at the Yokohama beach side I'd have hiked up from the Farrington highway. entrance (permit required)

Did this with a friend while the kids were at school. We parked on the lot at Dillingham and hiked to the picnic table and sat for a few minutes and then continued on all the way up the access roads. It's a serious booth burner but nice and shades and quiet. Bring water and snacks and wear good shoes because you are walking some pretty good inclines up those access roads!

Trail was well marked, easy to follow and good to see no trash!! We did this with our hiking with keiki group and our 3-5yo kiddos all walked the whole way up and most walked down too. We only did the the picnic table at the top and back down so that was 2.5. Great views during the hike although mostly blocked by trees once you get to the picnic table. Was great that although the weather was clear it was not too hot as there is partial shade through most of the trail, and the sun is primarily on the other side of the mountain. Was nice to stop at the nearby beach after.

I loved this trail!! It was steep and challenging, but a great workout! I went past the picnic tables to try and find the lookout. I found one that was right through the gate, but it seems like there might be another one I missed?? It took me 3 hours out and back. Great hike!